Forum Leaders - We Are The Mods

nomos

Administrator
I agree about the look. It's confusing and not pleasant to navigate.

The old posts seem to be there but the search is definitely borked.

Let's give it a couple of days in case Woebot is mid-upgrade. If nothing changes I'll send him a note.

sufi

lala
i disliked the old look, (preferred the black & green circa 2006ish) this evening's version is looking better
thanks for the upgrade dear woebot!

Leo

while i don't hate the new look, everything seems big and bulky, so you seem to see less content per page than before. the old design was more streamlined. and before when you clicked on "last post" from the home page, you went to the actual most recent post on the thread. now you go instead to the last page of the thread and have to look for the last post on it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Could one of the mods summarise exactly what was 'wrong' with the old layout? On a not broke/don't fix kinda basis, I mean.

benjybars

village elder.
really, REALLY not feeling the new look!

the old one was fine. more than fine. it was really nice.

can we do a coco pops and go back to the old one please?

luka

Today I upgraded the vBulletin software which Dissensus runs on from version 3.8.2 to version 4.0.1. It cost me a few bob to do but the developers Jelsoft have put a load of work into moving the software forward and crucially for me the new Default skin has been given a radical overhaul. Now it actually looks just about OK! In the past the only vaguely usable skin was done by a user called Timan at Aqua-Soft. The problem with that skin though was that it was based on the Macintosh OS X UI and, though a longtime Mac-user (since Mac OS 8), in the end that was too much of an obnoxious proposition for me.

Once upon a time the mega-talented Anil Bawa Cavia designed a skin for the forum which we dubbed nick(s)kin in honor of the legendary Nick Kilroy, however the problem was that each time Jelsoft redesigned the vBulletin software - and this is necessary to keep up with the web - a skin becomes out-of-sync with the board's various templates and consequently ceases to work. If it was up to me we'd still be running that old skin. I'm hoping there won't be too many issues with the upgrade. I've waited until v 4.0.1 to let them take the edge off the errors in the code.

http://www.hollowearth.org/blog/

Could one of the mods summarise exactly what was 'wrong' with the old layout? On a not broke/don't fix kinda basis, I mean.

The only reason I can think of is that the forum has been moved to a cheaper internet company. Though I hope that the layout & colours can still be improved despite the tight budget

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hmm, I can't see why the choice of hosting service would dictate the forum's graphics format - though admittedly I know very little about interweb hosting...

massrock

Did you guys actually read Matt's blog post as pasted by Luka above?

Anyway, I think it's OK, especially if the board runs smoother. What I don't like is how inefficient it seems to be with screen space. Maybe alright for those with jumbo monitors.

nomos

Administrator
thanks luka. i do find it hard to read but i understand matt's point about finding decent skins. and of course the time and money spent is appreciated. i think we'll adapt.

jenks

thread death
Someone point me to what I am doing wrong when searching - the music section only has 4 pages now - where has the rest gone? Has it, like, gone?

nomos

Administrator
Are you logged in when you search? When logged out I only get the last four pages. When logged in I get them all.

Search is still broken though.

hucks

Your Message Here
Someone point me to what I am doing wrong when searching - the music section only has 4 pages now - where has the rest gone? Has it, like, gone?

I think you need to re set your preferences to look back more than a month, then it should sort that out. There's a thing underneath the list of threads threads in each forum that should do that.