Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Edwards

I'm here to proclaim my Todd addiction as well Lucky for me, there's a shop here in South Beach that gets i! releases quite regularly. Actually, last time I looked there were still 3 or 4 copies of Nu Trends 2004 in stock.

My current favs from TTG:

Walk With Me
    Shut The Door
    Stop the Fighting
    Stormy Day

hoping for some new stuff to hit the shops soon. Saw a listing on the last Vibe Vee show that there's a new Todd white label out there. Anyone got it yet?
    T.S. Heritage
    Boosted Recordings
    http://www.boosted.com

Hi I'm Paul and also a huge Todd fan,

I realised Todd was God when I first heard 'Sample Choir - The Praise'

and I agree with whoever remarked on his Key changes, they are so extreme and happen when you least expect them - what makes them so aurally arousing

i think my personal selection would b something like;

Heavy Weather - Love Can't Turn Around
    Wildchild - Jump To My Beat (chorus is sick)
    Can't You Believe
    The Praise (God In His Hand)
    Push The Love
    Winter Behaviour
    You Don't Want To Lose It
    Forgiven
    Radio Thing
    You're The One

30min Todd Edwards mix recorded today:

http://idisk.mac.com/rupertread1-Public

1. Todd Edwards - Can't Live Without U
    2. Todd Edwards - Dancing For Heaven
    3. Todd Edwards - Never Far From You
    4. Songstress - See Line Woman '99 (Todd Edwards Remix)
    5. Lonyo - In Ayia Napa (Todd Edwards Perfect Dub)
    6. Sound Of One - As I Am (Todd Edwards Mix)
    7. Todd Edwards - Push The Love
    8. Tuff Jam - Need Good Love (Todd Edwards Main Mix)
    Last edited by DJL; 26-04-2007 at 10:00 PM.

thanks for the mix. todd edwards is one of those acts I heard about but never got a chance to check out. Did you forget to adjust the balance control on the mixer? It's heavily panned to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDjigit
    thanks for the mix. todd edwards is one of those acts I heard about but never got a chance to check out. Did you forget to adjust the balance control on the mixer? It's heavily panned to the left.
    Yeah I dunno why its done that - bit annoying. Has done this before - only thing I did a bit different on this one compared to other recent mixes was increase the volume. Think that might be the problem as its done it before. My decks are in a different room to my computer so I have to record on minidsic and then plug that into my mac. I'm also using some pretty lame sound editor called Sound Studio that crashes all the time

talking about Todd as a substance and an addiction makes total sense, all his stuff really sounds like it's made from the same delicious goo, and overlistening really does seem strangely irresistable yet unhealthy at times, makes you queasy, delirious, you can't believe you can listen to something so cheesy and seemingly monotonous for so long. When a track by him comes in in the middle of a mix it's like some parts of the brain get suddenly switched on that you forgot existed. So it's the key changes and the microsampling, so many different emotions crammed into a bar, but what else, who here that knows about the technicalities of production can tell us? Akufen's stuff is deliberately disjointed like most IDM, but Todd's connects wild disparities into a single squiggly line. I wouldn't call it his best track but the one I've listened to most and have the most special connection to is 'Shut the Door' simply because it was at the start of a CD I had in my car, and I listened to it before and after I rang this girl and got rejected. It makes me melt.

Quote Originally Posted by Terror Danjah Australis
    Akufen's stuff is deliberately disjointed like most IDM, but Todd's connects wild disparities into a single squiggly line.
    Yes! Isn't the latter so much better than the former (not that I don't like Akufen, only his "disjointed" parts)?

So can anyone point out any of those weird keychanges in the mix DJL posted?

never really liked todd edwards. a few kids in my school used to collect his records, which i found funny at the time.

ALTHOUGH, i once remember listening to a mix of that kind of stuff my friend had done while i was off my face and thought it was fantastic. reminded me of click house with all the micro sampling and stutters.

his remix of phoenix is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDjigit
    Yes! Isn't the latter so much better than the former (not that I don't like Akufen, only his "disjointed" parts)?

So can anyone point out any of those weird keychanges in the mix DJL posted?

Its weird - that mix is the first time I've played all those tunes together and it really takes away some of the disjointedness of the tunes. It's much more noticable when they are played on their own or next to regular UK Garage.

it's great to hear that there are fans from all over the globe, it's always good to see Todd when he comes over the UK!
    Sarki
    ---------------------------
    www.Todd-Edwards.net

I love Todd but I don't have any of his records, sadly.

Can someone repost / email me DJL's mix? It's expired...

And if there's a Todd CD recommendation here I missed it, can someone point it out for the hard-of-thinking?
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

Todd Edwards mix with levels fixed:

http://idisk.mac.com/rupertread1-Public
    Last edited by DJL; 26-04-2007 at 10:01 PM.

i'm really late, i know, but i think i'm catching this thing, which would follow, since i've been discovering all of this stuff backwards from the present. it has everything to do with falling more and more for itchy 2step with the mashed up vocals.

anyway, am i right in noticing a religious streak through his music? i've found at least one christian pop music site that bigs him up for this. "god will be there" is a good example of tune that i think is musically fantastic but which i wouldn't want to play out or put in a mix. it's jarring, this sound that i associate with london pirates and a bit of hedonism next to this image of ardkore fundamentalist ravers peaking on G in the american heartland.

a little contextual help...?

and is "the best of i! records - 10 years of garage" a good entry point?
    Last edited by nomos; 17-02-2007 at 12:21 AM.
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic deeptime.net

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    anyway, am i right in noticing a religious streak through his music?
    Yes. He is apparently a true blue born-again church-going Christian.

It's a bit mystifying to me as well. Call me a God-hater if you want but platitudes about Jesus in the middle of dance tracks make my dancing penis go soft.

Quote Originally Posted by reactiv.cd View Post
    It's a bit mystifying to me as well. Call me a God-hater if you want but platitudes about Jesus in the middle of dance tracks make my dancing penis go soft.
    Anyone inside... that restless soul?

A welcome return of this thread. I love Edward's stuff, the way it shifts up and down in movements, like classical music painted in smeary pop disco watercolours. Great b-lines.