Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Edwards

I got this Akufen CD "My Way" a few years back and the liner notes had this little essay going on about "microsampling" and the death of author, how nobody is really creative, etc, etc...
    Well, yeah, especially people who rip off Todd Edwards as blatanly as you mate!
    Not a bad album, maybe a bit dry and academic.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    I got this Akufen CD "My Way" a few years back and the liner notes had this little essay going on about "microsampling" and the death of author, how nobody is really creative, etc, etc...
    Well, yeah, especially people who rip off Todd Edwards as blatanly as you mate!
    Not a bad album, maybe a bit dry and academic.
    the music is fine, but yes that attitude of complete disregard for a strong linage, from hip hop sampling thru to any other street music and without a shadow of a doubt todd edwards, is pretty grim.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. I love you all!

His remix of "Show me love" by Robyn S is crap, don't think he was into all the microcuts yet then.

His latest album, Odyssey, is the very quintessence of cheese and all the better for it.

The second track, Next to You, sounds like it has Bjork on vocals.

there's also a track that features a Michael McDonald clone, and a cheesy sax shows up on yet another...I want to hug this record!

Hello everyone, my name is Matt, I first heard the dub mix of Alabama Blues on a Ministry Sessions CD by Frankie Knuckles in 1995 and promptly stopped going to jungle dos and started going to Twice as Nice and buying garage records as a result.

He does indeed live in New Jersey, he's a really, really nice guy. I've had the pleasure of interviewing him and hanging out with him a few times. I think its actually pretty exceptional that he manages to get hie religious message out through his music without alienating the listener. I mean think about it - he's a total God-botherer from Jersey (influenced by the work of Enya no less) yet a pirate DJ in London can play a two hour set of just his records and no one bats an eyelid. Imagine if the Jehovah's Witnesses figured out how to do that!

I think the reason is he doesn't ram it down people's throats, he conveys spiritual ideas a lot of the time that cross boundaries and even though he uses words, the messages that come through his music aren't in the language as much as they are the sounds, and they are only religious ones to him. If he put out "Gay Marriage Is Evil" (The No Stem Cells dub mix) he'd probably lose me, but he sticks to very primitive ideas of spirituality, which isn't unusual in house music. He has talked to me about the ultimate spiritual experience for him being working in the studio and feeling like God is there with him. He's a pretty intense guy, in the nicest possible way.

As for Todd the DJ - I've never thought he's the best guy for the job. He's a great producer, but if you really want to hear a DJ bring out the full potential and energy in his stuff, listen to EZ doing a live Todd set if you get the chance. He's really the only man up to the challenge. He used to do it a lot at Twice as Nice and people would be crying and shit.

My all time favorite Todds are the aforementioned Alabama Blues dub, Don't Turn Your Back On Love by Jay Collins Super 20, Accident, Winter Behavior and Fly Away. He also sings the vocals on a lot of his stuff (like Fly Away) and even vocalled a track for Daft Punk called Face to Face which is very Toddy and worth a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT MAson View Post
    He has talked to me about the ultimate spiritual experience for him being working in the studio and feeling like God is there with him.
    Not wanting to appear too pretentious, the ease with which T E smoothly joins the ostensibly ill-fitting suggests the aid of a divine hand. As the devotional poet, George Herbert, said of the Almighty's crucial role in the creative process:

When thou dost favor any action,
    It runnes, it flies;
    All things concurre to give it a perfection.
    That which had but two legs before,
    When thou dost blesse, hath twelve: one wheel doth rise
    To twentie then, or more.

TE = GH - quill + garage
    Last edited by mixed_biscuits; 14-03-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Default todd edwards

Sadly I've never heard him dj, but I hold his work in really high regard. I can hear his influence from Akufen to UKG & 2Step. The religious aspect of his tracks doesn't bother me either, puts him in the deep house camp, somewhere near Boo Williams, even Tea Dance house. For me, its about hearing his heavy bouncing basslines and staccato sequencing. Yet another great producer out of Jersey.

Slight diversion, but does EZ still regularly DJ in the UK? Never remember seeing much about him.

For whatever reason, I've been listening to the todd-mixed, 90% todd-content second cd of this at least once a day for the last week. And let me tell you, it is a joy to listen to.

That is a great CD.

Default Todd's ultra rare mix for Locked On

originally from this topic: http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=206739#206739

I've uploaded the Locked On Vol 1 Mix here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/wikgac the tracklisting is here:
    http://www.discogs.com/release/22805

I've also uploaded an old skool mix Oris Jay did for 1XTra. The second hour of the show was mainly early zed bias & el-b, but my SD card was faulty so I only got the first hour, which is mainly well known tunes from 96-98
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/hl3ud4

The tracklisting is: Oris Jay on the Basement, 1Xtra, 2004

Scott Garcia- Music Takes You (Buzz Bomb)
    Unknown- Unknown
    Big Bird- Flav (City Dub Traxx/ Nice ‘n’ Ripe)
    Livin Large ft Colonel Abrams- Love is what we need (unknown mix) (probably Nice ‘n’ Ripe)
    New Horizons- Find the Path (In your Mind) (Tuff Jam remix) (500 Rekords)
    Underground Distortion- Everythin’ is Large (Boom City/Satellite)
    4 Deep Connextion- Twisted Future (DFL)
    New Horizons- Inspiration (500 rekords)
    Colonel Abram- So Confused (The Bootleg) (Great Jones)
    New Horizons- It’s My House (bassline mix) (500 Rekords)
    Somore ft Damon Trueitt- I Refuse (What You Want) (Industry Standard Mix) (Locked On)
    Tuff Jam- Track No Name (Unda-Vybe)
    Mike Dunn presents the MD Express- God Made Me Phunky (various labels)
    Nu-Birth- Anytime (Locked On)

thanks owen

Looks great. *downloading*