best of 2004

It is that time of year again when the lists start rolling in, Curious to see everyones picks: Here is a taste of mine: Brian Wilson Fennesz , Animal Collective and Panda Bear, Albert Ayler box set, Stereolab, Konki Duet, Toshi Nakamura, Wilco, Cheers.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Pan American, Madvillan, Thighpaulsandra (I think I'm the only person in the world who likes his new album but it's fantastic, believe!), Metalux, Errorsmith, and of course Dizzee.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Trick Daddy - Thug Matrimony, Ghostface, Madvillain, Kanye, m mayer, Trillville/Lil Scrappy, anniemal, Devin the Dude, Jada's mixtape, David Banner - MTA2, MM Food, Teedra Moses, Lil Jon, Rio Baile Funk, Brandy, Crime Mob, MIA/Diplo, maybe Nas, Felix Da HC, Theodore Unit, Ragga Ragga Ragga 2004, Superpitcher, maybe one of the southern smoke mixtapes, Murs, Lucien-n-Luciano...

if anyone has anything to recommend that i might not have heard in the vein of the above, lemme know.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
DavidD said:
if anyone has anything to recommend that i might not have heard in the vein of the above, lemme know.

Have a look at Vordul's 'Revolution of Yung Havoks', a few weeks old. Very much in the Ghostface/Madvillain vein, maybe a little less fucked up. Fucking killer, not as great as the Can Ox records but it shits all over Vast's solo IMO.

Esp. try and download 'In The Hood' and 'Never Wanna Hurt Again', both standouts.

And for best of the year?

Castanets - Cathedral [Kitty Yo]
Junior Boys - Last Exit [Kin]
Yasunao Tone + Hecker [Mego]
Einsturzende Neubauten - Perpetuum Mobile [Mute]
DFA Compilation 2 [DFA]
Speicher 2 [Kompakt]
Ghostface - Pretty Toney [generic major label]
Elvis Presley - Elvis at Sun [RCA]
Daddy G - DJ Kicks [!K7]
Tinariwen - Amassakoul [Shock]
Vordul Mega - Revolution of Yung Havoks [Sound Ink]

Again, anyone want to recommend anything else I've missed in the vein?

PS. And when the fuck are Airborn Audio (2/3 of Antipop Cons) and Roscoe P Coldchain dropping?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
drop it like it's hot

Is "Drop It Like It's Hot" not one of the greatest top hits in recent times? I haven't listened to the radio in ages or paid any attention to hip hop. Then a couple weeks ago I heard this and even though I hate Snoop Dogg I really enjoyed this one. It's just so minimal. Those 80's synths are great too.

Backjob

Albums:

Marz - "Wir sind hier"
Lucien 'n Luciano - "Blind behaviour"
Trick Daddy - "Thug matrimony"
Dizzee - "Showtime"
Richard Bartz - "Midnight man"

Songs:

Lean Back remix
Trim - "Boogeyman"
Lethal B - "Forward"
The Knife - "Hearbeats"
Feist - "Mushaboom"
Lil Boosie - "I smoke, I drank"
Rex the Dog - "Frequency"
DJ T - "Radiator"
Juvenile - "Nolia clap"
Narcotic Syntax - "Drumpads of Jericho"
Marvia Providence - "Hear my cry O Lord"/Elephant Man - "Bun bad mind"
Justus Kohncke - "Hot Love"

luka

i think these people had good years

davinche kano riko trim brandy talib kweli the roots kayne west terra danjah j2k lethal b demon bruza d double e ruff squad usher fat joe

thats what i can think of off the top of my head.