50cent - Official Lapdog of the Right

zhao

there are no accidents
I thought about it some more, and maybe my initial reaction was a little too harsh, looking a little too much into it... 50 is probably just an idiot. simple. probably not consciously trying to befriend the neo-cons.

I wish I can find an article on the Source working for the Bush campaign though... all mentions of it seems to have vanished. does anyone else remember that?

geto.blast

snap on rims
50 cent hiphop??

i don t think so , it s POP.

you can t make a stance against a genre based on some commercially propped up jackass.

so all hiphop is garbage ?

mms

sometimes
geto.blast said:
50 cent hiphop??

i don t think so , it s POP.

you can t make a stance against a genre based on some commercially propped up jackass.

so all hiphop is garbage ?

i think it's definitley hip hop and no one is saying all hip hop is rubbish cos 50 is a bit of a knob.

Whoa-B

Brüt Force Family
50 Cent is apolitical. All about money, make no bones about it. He was just worried that Kanye's comments may have cost him record sales. So he's supporting the federal government's story for a minute. (Too bad the FEMA director's emails were just released, showing a different story.)

But I just remembered that 50's video for Heat was done by GNN (not dubya's homeboys by any means). Peep it... http://www.guerrillanews.com/videos/video.php?id=14

DJ PIMP

Jealousy's for women but some niggaz is bitch made
They make you wanna run across they head with a switchblade
They point the finger at me, sayin I'm bugged
My flow's crack, you listen? Your fuckin brain's on drugs

DavidD

can't be stopped
Get Rich or Die Trying is one of the best rap albums of the past 5 years.

The Mobb Deep single with 50 Cent is one of the best singles of this year.

The idea that 50 Cent gives two shits about the conservatives in this country is amusing. Since when does "I dont know where kanye's coming from" = "i disagree with kanye"?

craner

Beast of Burden
Maybe he's just a dumb fuck. Don't get it = stupid, maybe.

50 Cent's appalling! Come on! Worst rapper since Ma$e!

Closest thing I've ever heard to justifying this thread in any way is that, apparently, 'In Da Club' was the most popular tune in the tanks during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Troops were bobbing their heads to it while blowing shit up!

(Er, should I have written headz there? What are the rules here?)

craner

Beast of Burden
Confucious, I was on about this:

B000003R5L.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I suggest you get it. I don't know, maybe it's rare now.

One of the best albums of the 90s however.

zhao

there are no accidents
oliver craner said:
Confucious, I was on about this:

B000003R5L.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I suggest you get it. I don't know, maybe it's rare now.

One of the best albums of the 90s however.

I actually just downloaded it... will check it along with 50 billion other hiphop things waiting for me... really feeling the Young Buck album that will soon be released... hella tight...

yeah 50 is just thick

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
DavidD said:
Since when does "I dont know where kanye's coming from" = "i disagree with kanye"?

Isn't that the definition of "I don't know where kanye's coming from"?

geto.blast

snap on rims
mms said:
i think it's definitley hip hop and no one is saying all hip hop is rubbish cos 50 is a bit of a knob.

check out the first post:

"in a sickening bit of news, which validates K-punk's stance against hiphop, 50 has publicly disclaimed Kanye's criticism of the Bush admin in the wake of Hurricane Katrina."

nothing is validated by fity being an asshat.....and like all genres there s good and there s bad..

joeschmo

a) This probably has more to do with 50 feeling threatened by Kanye taking the spotlight than anything else. Second time he's dissed him recently. Beef is how hip-hop generates publicity. It's about time someone had beef with Kanye. Amazing it took this long.

b) 50 is allowed to disagree with the statement that George Bush doesn't care about black people without automatically being a tool of the administration. (Personally, I think the fact that George Bush is a lazy, incompetent ingrate is a far more plausible explanation for what went on; no need to assume racism. At least in his case--structurally, among other members of current US government, etc., is a different matter.) Although I do wish he hadn't said "everybody did the best they could," because that is patently false.

c) The idea that troops in Iraq listening to 50 Cent "justifies this thread" is truly, truly comical. I guess Hendrix, the Doors et al were all tools of the administration during Vietnam then!

d) I hope anyone involved in hip-hop gets as rich as they possibly can, rather than staying poor in order not to betray the fantasy projections of white liberals.

zhao

there are no accidents
geto.blast said:
check out the first post:
like all genres there s good and there s bad..

at the time of that first post I had just heard the news and was fumin'. I still think K-punk's denunciation of all hiphop is absurd.

in all genres there is good and bad, EXCEPT for "mainstream" country after the 1970s, and gospel after the 1970s.

in all western pop genres the percentage of quality is about 5% - 20%. except for forms like Indonesian Gamelan, which is more like 95% (the only wack shit being the touristy CD's of soothing island sounds).

zhao

there are no accidents
joeschmo said:
a) This probably has more to do with 50 feeling threatened by Kanye taking the spotlight than anything else. Second time he's dissed him recently. Beef is how hip-hop generates publicity. It's about time someone had beef with Kanye. Amazing it took this long.

b) 50 is allowed to disagree with the statement that George Bush doesn't care about black people without automatically being a tool of the administration. (Personally, I think the fact that George Bush is a lazy, incompetent ingrate is a far more plausible explanation for what went on; no need to assume racism. At least in his case--structurally, among other members of current US government, etc., is a different matter.) Although I do wish he hadn't said "everybody did the best they could," because that is patently false.

c) The idea that troops in Iraq listening to 50 Cent "justifies this thread" is truly, truly comical. I guess Hendrix, the Doors et al were all tools of the administration during Vietnam then!

d) I hope anyone involved in hip-hop gets as rich as they possibly can, rather than staying poor in order not to betray the fantasy projections of white liberals.

a) hasn't the beef been going on for a while now?

b) George Bush is neither lazy nor incompetent. he would not have been able to steal the election, TWICE, if he was either. the puppet theory doesn't pan out either. dissmissing GW as dumb or a tool is only empowering him. face it, he is a very able and very selfish man who doesn't give a fuck about anything else except him and his friends.

in this respect K-punk is OTM. hiphop's "all about them benjamins" thing is a ghetto cartoon version of the worst aspects of American capitalism at large.

c) but Hendrix, the Doors, and Stones were representative of a generation's anti-war, anti-authoritarian attitudes. and the only thing 50 is representative of is greed.

d) yeah I guess.

joeschmo

<i>George Bush is neither lazy nor incompetent. he would not have been able to steal the election, TWICE, if he was either. the puppet theory doesn't pan out either. dissmissing GW as dumb or a tool is only empowering him. face it, he is a very able and very selfish man who doesn't give a fuck about anything else except him and his friends.</i>

George Bush is a brilliant <i>campaigner</i> who didn't steal any elections. He's an incompetent governer. Two very different things.

<i>in this respect K-punk is OTM. hiphop's "all about them benjamins" thing is a ghetto cartoon version of the worst aspects of American capitalism at large.</i>

I think that's an enormous, and specious, generalization. And one that I think any white person should be very careful about making. But I can't be bothered getting into a detailed argument about it :)

zhao

there are no accidents
joeschmo said:
I think that's an enormous, and specious, generalization. And one that I think any white person should be very careful about making. But I can't be bothered getting into a detailed argument about it :)

you are right that it's an enormous generalization. but wrong to assume I'm white.

joeschmo

Ah, but you didn't make the generalization... :)

(Let me sketch my counter-argument anyway: one of the most long-term effects of 400 years of oppression and deepest of deep forms of structural racism in a capitalist society is lack of capital. Capital accumulates and is handed down across generations. If one particular group of people hasn't been able to begin accumulating capital until a mere 50 years ago, the smartest and most revolutionary thing they can do is set about getting hold of it, stat. And then wave it in the face of the oppressor. Asking them to do otherwise--to somehow step outside the prevailing conditions that cause day-to-day suffering and embrace some alternative, unspecified system which exists nowhere close to hand--is incredibly short-sighted, and really only possible from a privileged subject position.)

And I forgot this

<i>but Hendrix, the Doors, and Stones were representative of a generation's anti-war, anti-authoritarian attitudes. and the only thing 50 is representative of is greed.</i>

Hendrix and the Stones were pretty ambiguous, apolitical figures. Sure, Hendrix did Machine Gun--which really isn't anything more than a soundtrack to war anyway--but he also served in the Army (or the Air Force, I forget which). The Stones didn't stand for much of anything, at least politically.

The Doors, maybe really were antiwar, but Jimbo was kind of a fool anyway.

Anyway, the larger, more important point is that the idea that <i>any</i> musician being played by troops is somehow complicit in war is completely ridiculous.

I'd agree that they were all anti-authoritarian, though. I'd also say that 50 Cent is anti-authoritarian. But being anti-authoritarian is easy and vague.

And I'd say that, more than greed, 50 stands for hustle, street smarts, and being a survivor. You could argue those are some positive qualities associated with "capitalism" (whatever the fuck that means anyway), if you wanted to be provocative, too.

Last edited: