50cent - Official Lapdog of the Right

DJ PIMP

Maybe its corny or irrelevant to some, but I think a lot of people connect with 50s story of redemption and his (non-binary) morality. Hes a great MC.

--

God give me style, God give me grace
Ha ha, God put this smile on my face
God make me shine like the sun
Sometimes I feel like I'm the one

Listen you can call me what you want, black and ugly
But you can't convince me the Lord don't love me
When my CD's drop, they sell the best
You call it luck, why can't it just be I'm blessed
I'm a track star runnin through life chasin my dreams
Best deal I made was tradin the mic for that triple beam
I zone off thinkin is there really heaven or hell
If so what happens to a changed man that dies in a cell?
I need no answers to these questions, cause time will tell
Got a date with destiny, she's more than a girl
Don't much good come from me, but my music
It's a gift given from God, so I'm a use it - yeah

neupunk

50 Cent has a story of redemption? That's stretching it. From the BBC article:

50 Cent turned his back on a life of crime to pursue a career in the music business.

If anything, he's dropped one money-making venture when another proved to be profitable. There's even the (possibly apocryphal) story about him spending most of his first large advance as an artist, then buying crack with the remaining cash and turning it around at a profit that doubled his money. Is there a song where he's outrightly repentant about selling drugs or living a life of violence? There's regret, but not necessarily guilt. There's the sense that bettering himself -- monetarily -- at any price is worth the cost of being shot, moving drugs, etc. Supposedly he's commented about Bush: "We are both gangsters." Business deals with the only goal of getting ahead despite costs to others on the part of both parties might explain that.

That doesn't mean that Curtis Jackson's take on the president is correct, but it's interesting that he has this view. As a rapper, 50 Cent is good at what he does commercially, and I'd argue that applies musically part of the time. I think there's some prejudice at play in painting him as a "lapdog," though. If anything, he's painting himself as a kindred spirit more than he is being loyal to a party.

atomly

atomiq one
getribs.jpg

joeschmo

<i>Supposedly he's commented about Bush: "We are both gangsters."</i>

He said this in a feature in American GQ. It's actually a fantastic piece, because it shows the events of the day leading up to the MTV Music Awards, at which 50 and his posse got in a brawl with Fat Joe's crew. Basically, you see how MTV treats 50 like shit, giving him a crappy trailer that's separated from all the other stars (even though they expect him to play a major role in the show) and ignoring him. So it's all about him being provoked into doing something outrageous, and him resisting, and then it happening anyway due to events beyond his control. He comes across as a pretty thoughtful, intelligent guy. You don't get where he is without being smart.

Anyway, I am disappointed that he compares himself to Bush, not because I want him to share my politics, but because I would hope he could see that Bush has nothing on him. Bush has failed throughout his life and been constantly bailed out by his family connections; drop him in 50's environment at an early age and we would never have heard of him.

I'm quite amused by all the talk of repentance that runs through this thread. What a lot of moralists there are on Dissensus!

zhao

there are no accidents
joeschmo said:
<i>talk of repentance that runs through this thread. What a lot of moralists there are on Dissensus!

repentance? am I missing something?

I've got get ribs or die trying in my itunes... perhaps I'll give it a listen today... a friend swears it's good.

luka

So you extrapolated "I think everyone did the best they could" into a show of support for the right wing?

Why is it that the predominance of liberalists whether it be in the US or UK are capable of making such ludicrous sweeping statements with no factual back up. It baffles me.

fucking liberalists

luka

Paul Hotflush
Paul Hotflush is offline techno head

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Sama
Why is it that the predominance of liberalists whether it be in the US or UK are capable of making such ludicrous sweeping statements with no factual back up. It baffles me.
Join the debate:
http://www.dissensus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

grooming process.

luka

the of course, there's Mobb Deep, official lap dogs of 50 cent... from Vibe magazine:

Your signing to G Unit seemed to catch everyone off guard. How did that happen?

Prodigy: 50 Cent heard that we were free agents. He called Hav like, "Yo, what's up? I'm fu*king with y'all. Let's do it."

After seven albums being self-contained, by joining G Unit are you admitting that maybe, your way wasn't working anymore?

Havoc: Nah, not at all. The way we were doing it always worked. It was just the record companies were fu*king up. Now we have a better platform.

50 recently said he's picking all the beats for your upcoming album. Is that true?

H: He sends beats to us. If we don't like it, we always got our opinions. But he's got such a good ear that every track he picks is right, so it's all good. I'm still producing somewhere close to half the album.

Did you sign an artist deal?

H: Nah, not like a regular deal. We got a lot of perks. We got more points than any artist ever got to this day, so it's a real good deal.

Perks? Give me a few examples of these perks.

P: We got Porsches.
H: Top of the line. I got a GT3 that's nonrecoupable.

So, I guess it didn't bother you that on "Piggy Bank" 50 said to Jadakiss, "I'll do your little ass like Jay did Mobb Deep?"

H: Nope
P: When he said that line, he was just talking about what really happenned. At Summer Jam, Jay-Z put up a picture of me when I was a little kid in my grandmother's dance school. We're all bigger than Jay now.

Similar to Ja Rule's R.U.L.E., Amerikaz Nightmare had it's fans, but it didn't achieve commercial success. Were you worried that your time might hav passed?

H: The difference with Ja Rule is people were tired of him. We came out with a good record, but the record wasn't getting it to the fans.

Speaking of Ja Rule, 50 is known for his beefs. Will it be a problem for you to work with people he's beefing with?

H: I'm a producer, bottom line. Nobody can tell me what I can and can't do as far as me being creative. And 50 is not even like that at all. But, I will say that I'm down for my team, and I ain't trying to start no friction.

Havoc produced "Don't Need Your Love" on The Documentary. And P, you did "Dead Bodies"on the Alchemist's album with Game. Will you continue to work with him in the future?

P: If Fif tells me, "Yo don't give that ***** no verses," them *****s ain't getting no verses, man. It's not gonna stop my money, 'cause I'll get money from somewhere else. I'll be like All right, cool. What verse can I do? That's where I'm gonna get money from, then.

It doesn't matter that someone has a say in your music relationships?

P: Hell no. He made me rich.

How does your G Unit affiliation affect your relationship with Nas?

P: Who that? You're talking about Milkshake? He's not in the picture no more. He left the radar.

Is Big Noyd going to be involved with your new album, Blood Money?

P: Once Mobb Deep gets an album out and goes on tour and our album is selling, then we'll start thinking about different artists. But right now, we're not really worried about nobody else but Mobb Deep.

There was a controversy earlier this year with your former manager Littles, saying you two were breaking up. What was that about?

P: Who that, son? I don't even know who that is.

With your recent appearance on the Anger Management 3 tour, you seem to have lost weight. Are you still struggling with sickle cell?

P: I'm in perfect health. I ain't been sick in a long time.
H: We slim dudes. But check this bank account. Tell me how I look now (laughs). My hips look kinda fat right? My pockets are bulging.

How do you feel about New York's rap chances right now?

H: I mean, everybody gets their time. It started in New York and it's gonna come back ultimately. People go, "What about the South?" That's a tool to pit everybody against one another. We're all making black music. Right now, our Down South brothers are winning cause they deserve it.

Who do you guys feel is really representing New York right now?

H: Mobb Deep.

Duly noted. Since signing to G Unit, what's been the biggest change in your lives?

P: We're megastars now.
H: I never thought it would be this way.
P: When we signed that contract, Fif gave us the keys to the planet. We can open up any door right now.

:eek:

luka

weird thread. zhao. david drake. k-punk. scuba and logan.... and owen hatherley of all people