Has anyone ever analysed their dreams?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Used to suffer from a lot of teeth falling out dreams.

Yeah, I got that quite a bit as a kid. In one incident that has gone down in family folklore, I was coming down with flu and thus hallucinating a little bit - plus I'd just been watching a david attenborough nature doc (the only program I was allowed to stay up and watch in our staunchly middle class liberal household).

Anyway, to cut a long story short I developed a frightening conviction that my teeth were floating in the pacific ocean, to the point of trying repeatedly to get out of the house to look for them. I got halfway down the road at one point, and my mum had to drag me back inside with me wailing MY TEEEETH!!!! a the top of my voice, which must have done wonders for neighbourhood harmony.

I think it lasted about 15 minutes. I have vivid memories of this vision I had throughout of my teeth bobbing around in the Pacific with all this other flotsam, seagulls picking at them etc.

Lichen

Extraordinary.

Mine have always been wihin the bounds of sleep and occured well into adulthood - still do as a matter of fact.

Your teeth coming loose and falling out in a dream is meant to reflect anxieties you feel.

Adds up in my case.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Smoking herb regularly will definitely supress dream memories/dreaming and when you come off it the dreams can come back with shocking power and clarity. The length of time you need to smoke to have this effect seems to make it un-useful but it's definitely there. On the same front it seems Melatonin (an herbal supplement) claims to limit this effect for chronic smokers and cause vivid dreaming in non-smokers. I haven't taken it enough to agree or disagree but I think it's not baseless.

I've had lucid flying dreams and they're some of my most favorite. I've also had what I call 'night terrors' which is when I will be having a vivid, surreal nightmare and wake up only to have the nightmare continue, for lack of a better term. Basically dream logic continues in waking experience and in the case of nightmares this feels very much like losing your mind. It's happened to me three or four times in my life and it's a shocking unpleasant experience. Later I figured out that drinking coffee within four or five hours of sleep contributed to this, I'd get to sleep fine but then wake up about two hours later raving. Usually after a period of time that feels like twenty minutes or so and is probably much shorter I will be able to focus on something else like the TV and normal thought reasserts itself. Pretty disturbing experience. The most memorable was that I had given some people the wrong word in Japanese for Million and they had built a society using this in their language which had developed like a broken bone which had been set crooked and healed wrong. The feeling of guilt and horror at this was powerfully awful and persisted for a long time after I was awake, untill I managed to realise that these were two totally unconnected ideas and images and that it was all ridiculous, which was a great relief.

swears

preppy-kei
gabba & lichen:

Yeah, I've had teeth-falling-out dreams too! Weird, is it that common?
And when they first fall out there's a moment of panic: "Oh shit, now I'm gonna look like Shane McGowan!"
I had one recently where I was plugging them back into my gums.

Lichen

swears,

they are common i think. the best explanation I've read is that loss of teeth = loss of power and control

so when we lose our teeth in a dream we are facing up to our lack of influence and control

that would tally with the feelings of fear and hopelesness that fill the dream.

Bruxism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxism) has also been blamed.

Horrid innit

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Lichen & swears - luckily I don't get teeth dreams anymore, for me it was really a childhood thing, You're right though, it is horrible. I think I've read too that it's to do with loss of control, insecurity, etc.

Sizzle, re. dreams hanging over into waking - I had a dream last night that my bed had fallen to pieces, then I was standing in the shower this morning thinking 'damn, gotta get that bloody bed fixed today - no, hang on...'

polystyle

Oh yea, the teeth dreams - the old first one tooth goes and then oh *hit ,
they all just come loose and are falling out into mouth while one tries to carry on doing whatever it is at the moment.
over time , have had them a few times , jus horrible feeling , even when you've woken up - not soon forgotten !
Awwwgh ...

Client Eastwood

I've never tried to keep a dairy or analyse dreams but tried to keep a mental note as I wake up, but the dream memory soon gets distorted by reality. And later in the day nothing I can remember makes much sense through my reality filter.

I don't think I've had a dream that I can remember for a least a month tho I guess
I am still dreaming. I've had this on my bookshelf for a while and started to read it
a couple of days ago. While I've never read any other literature to compare it to it does seem pretty good so far.

slowtrain

I've always been curious about those so-called 'dream dictionaries' and the like.. It always seemed to me that if you never knew about the symbol then how could it get into your head? (Even though there are weird things that all people seem to do - I'm reminded of how everyone on datura smokes imaginary cigarettes?)
And then I've always been hesitant to look up my recurring aspects because then it might mean that they just from then on simply stick to the definition I read in the dictionary, you know what I mean?

But does anyone have any 'scientific' resources on interpreting dreams? I'd be fascinated to read any...

Oh, and my recurring thing is that I always have to attempt to drive a car and don't really know how. (E.g, I find myself in the backseat - cars going down the road and I have to jump in the front and try figure out how to control it) I've had them since a kid and even though I can drive now, still get them.
It seems like the sort of thing a lot of people would get, has anyone else had this before?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, I've had the car dream. Quite a lot. No idea what it might mean though.

I've been keeping a dream diary on and off for about 20 years now, and I find it really fruitful. It's a practice I'd recommend to anyone. Your dreams definitely produce clear meanings if you given them the space to do so, material that comes from beyond your waking consciousness. Can answer problems, gain insight, and as well generally pleasantly weirding you right the fuck out. I've been seeing a therapist recently, and dreaming is an essential part of that process - it supplements, aids, and even directs it sometimes.

Anyone having problems with recall - 1) stop smoking dope 2) don't move when you wake up 3) last thing before you go to sleep, have the clear intention to remember them. Pen and paper next to bed is obviously a must.

sufi

lala
had the car dream repeatedly - that's about control
& had the tooth dream occasionally - about change, moving on, getting older
both rather disturbing

had a very vivid one a month or 2 back which has really stuck in my mind
day-140-electrical-sockets-dont--large-msg-12339679431.jpg

a plug socket (2 pin at about shoulder height) as i draw closer to it i can just about hear a little squeaky voice ....
i put my ear to the socket and listen:
"Heeelp us help us please, we're stuck in the basement heeeeelp!!! help help!!!" :eek:
most alarming - i dread to think what it might mean???

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I'm usually lost or in peril in my dreams.

I had a dream that was a film and I was in it. At the end the credits came up and when they finished I woke up.

Was bizarre.

slowtrain

OK - I had the most fucked up one this morning - like something out of de Sade ( :eek: )!!! I actually wrote it up but it is too messed up.

Was wondering if it (probably was) to the large cup of skullcap/valerian tea I had before bed? - I had others during the night as well, quite vivid. Anyone had this effect before? I had imagined it would just put me to sleep easier as I've been having a bit of a trouble lately (it didn't though...)

Also had a dream that I burnt by pocketbook and melted my cellphone - house filled up with this toxic smoke and I just felt so stupid and bad about it - anyone had anything like that before?

Fascinating about how some dreams seem to experienced by wide number of people - is there any contemp. research into anything like this?

(Online dream dictionaries are just embarrassing really - I'd like to think I'm a bit deeper than that!)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The main recurring feature of my dreams is that when I jump there is a kind of moon-gravity effect and I float up into the air and land again extremely slowly. It is often more frightening or inconvenient than exhilarating, though. Also those dreams where you have to run to/away from someone/thing but it takes tremendous effort to move more than an inch per second. I don't know what this means.

Once in a while I have a dream about having to do an exam without having prepared for it, too. I know what that's about I suppose...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, and my recurring thing is that I always have to attempt to drive a car and don't really know how. (E.g, I find myself in the backseat - cars going down the road and I have to jump in the front and try figure out how to control it) I've had them since a kid and even though I can drive now, still get them.
It seems like the sort of thing a lot of people would get, has anyone else had this before?

Haha, I've not had this dream but then I've never really driven much - it's apparently pretty common. Reminds me of a great xkcd cartoon:

brain_worms.png

hopper

I'd say the car one is the most recurring thing in my dreams too, weird to see so many other people get it. I always find myself really happy and excited that I'd managed to drive and do something I've always wanted to do, then I always find myself really disappointed when I wake up. There must be some undoubted driving repression in me, though can't do much to sort that out now.

slowtrain

Haha, I've not had this dream but then I've never really driven much - it's apparently pretty common. Reminds me of a great xkcd cartoon:

brain_worms.png

Ha! I'd even seen that before - never twigged though.

I've been having them forever.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It's funny this thread just got resurrected because last night I had one of the most horrifying dreams I've ever had. I was dreaming about lucid dreaming. So in my dream, I'd fall asleep and start lucid dreaming but I'd be unable to wake myself up (into the first dream), and then when I finally was able to "wake up" I'd find out I had committed horrible atrocities sleep-walking. Then I'd fall asleep in the dream again, and my lucid dream-in-a-dream would be all the more horrible because I'd be certain I was walking around doing terrible things while desperately trying to wake up.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's funny this thread just got resurrected because last night I had one of the most horrifying dreams I've ever had. I was dreaming about lucid dreaming. So in my dream, I'd fall asleep and start lucid dreaming but I'd be unable to wake myself up (into the first dream), and then when I finally was able to "wake up" I'd find out I had committed horrible atrocities sleep-walking. Then I'd fall asleep in the dream again, and my lucid dream-in-a-dream would be all the more horrible because I'd be certain I was walking around doing terrible things while desperately trying to wake up.

had similar experiences - can't remember the medical term for it though, annoyingly enough. terrifying indeed....

Edit: will come back to this thread, but pushed for time now. Anyone had insights into subconscious from their dreams that they've successfully brought into their conscious (thru remmebring/thining about dreams) and made their life better as a result? It's what I'm trying to do at present - many of my dreams centre around betrayal.... :)

muser

Ive had a few reccuring dreams, never consecutively but I have had the car one quite a few times. Another one is trying to hit someone but having no strength to have an effect, kind of like trying to move your arms underwater, which is meant to be to do with frustration.
Had quite a few where lots of insects seem to start appearing in the dream, like waking up to seeing the room full of bugs. Also get dreams about what im going to eat later on in the day quite alot aswell ha.