Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kate Bush

Loved your review Mark. However I wouldn't be surprised if A Sea of Honey grows on you until it nearly matches A Sky of Honey - I've found its appeal more ambiguous and awkward but also very insidious. "A Coral Room" in particular is quite astonishing.

Oddly it's almost a reversal of Hounds of Love: here the concept side is the immediately arresting, sparkling, extroverted part, while the "conventional songs" side is quiet, "difficult", containing hidden depths...

Got it today, so no verdict yet - but the use of ambient sounds and the lushness of the production reminds me slightly of Virginia Astley's "From Gardens Where We Feel Secure" and John Foxx's "The Garden" (very English I think?). It's just good to hear that voice again.

Or as Mark says "The sonic pallette from which Bush has constructed Aerial contains few rogue elements, and hardly anything that would have discomfitted a mid-80s audience".

---

The other little thing is the booklet (pictures of her kids, drawings and so on) and the Digipak packaging of the CDs. It makes it slightly more intimate to listen to the album.
    It also adds value over buying/downloading.

(I bought the single when it came on iTunes (my first purchase ever in iTunes) and won't be making many purchases from there until I get an option to increase the bitrate)
    Ness Rowlah

Thanks everyone...

I hope Tim is right about A Sea of Honey... I find 'Pi' and 'Bertie' a bit noodling atm, so much less likely to listen to the tracks at the end of that disc.... but having to stop myself playing Sky of Honey, it's so compulsive...

Ness

was actually going to mention both The Garden and From Gardens where we Feel Secure (did you know that Foxx produced the demos of that btw?)

as for the 80s production thing... couldn't help thinking at times how well Sky of Honey would work as microhouse... could easily imagine a version of it produced by Luomo...

that's a lovely piece you've written mark.
    it's funny how the advent of a new kate bush album brings all these secret worshippers out of the closet, my girlfriend was saying about how the album has been on constant rotation in her office and people that have come over for meetings etc suddenly reveal themselves as massive fans, meetings get turned into discussions of Bush rarities etc . ha ha !
    People like coil used to say she was a Goddess and i've heard alot of musicians say she is the number one person they'd like to work with. Strange.The birdsong reminds me of Coil as well esp journey to avebury with its strange digital birds.

i am so pleased with the responses to this thread

i really thought i was going to hear loads of 'm.o.r. hippyshit' accusations

bush really does invoke a kind of rapt response from all areas - a bloke at work claimed not to like her but on actually borrowing the album is something of a convert.

birdsong has taken on a whole new meaning for me

ps i too really enjoyed your piece kpunk

Quote Originally Posted by k-punk
    Thanks everyone...
    Ness

was actually going to mention both The Garden and From Gardens where we Feel Secure (did you know that Foxx produced the demos of that btw?)
    I had no idea. Do you have a copy of those demos?
    Ness Rowlah

schooldays flashback...

one in Kate's bush is worth two in the hand

Quote Originally Posted by jenks
    i am so pleased with the responses to this thread

i really thought i was going to hear loads of 'm.o.r. hippyshit' accusations

bush really does invoke a kind of rapt response from all areas - a bloke at work claimed not to like her but on actually borrowing the album is something of a convert.

birdsong has taken on a whole new meaning for me

ps i too really enjoyed your piece kpunk
    i like it - but first listen some of it sounded a bit bland. maybe because i've been listening to the dreaming a lot before hearing ariel. thats my favourite lp of hers and i miss that demented looney business that shes so good at.

but the latest one is still quality, just different. i think its going to be a grower.