going inside

DJ PIMP

I have no knowledge of the Celestine whatchamacallits at all.

Saying its the 'ultimate aim' seems weird to me... a little friction never hurt anyone. It makes me think of the story of the buddha being kept in the palace as a youth so that he never saw suffering or uglyness...

Re buddhism and reincarnation; I can't decide if its legit or if its there so that the concept of karma makes sense. Without karma carrying across life-times it doesn't hold together because good things happen to "bad" people and vice versey. Though the monks say theres specific meditation you can do to remember past lives, so who knows!

so let's say you do something really bad and reincarnate as a rock...

...how does one become a very good rock so as to reincarnate further up the ladder next time ???

I didn't really get much of the mystical stuff from the celestine thing or scientific caricatures either...

...except maybe that conscious thoughts can change the 4d prison we're locked in and what was the selfish part ???

i thought it was a nice, feel good bit of fiction with a moral...

it was more the ignorant and superstitious that were burned by the supposedly rational, god fearing, religious types...

tryptych

waiting for a time
Two kinds of burning at the stake: the burning of heretics, which was generally done by religious groups, and usually for reasons of politics and power within the Christian church (the Templars, etc)

The other kind would be the burning of "witches", carried out by the superstitious. The two groups overlap some what, of course. Religious groups are not "supposedly rational" - that would be the scientists, the kind of people who opposed such superstitious persecution in the name of religion. Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalism

There's some truly depressing bits in the celestine profs where the "hero" abandons other people to their fate, cause it's all about "self-improvement" and "finding your own path, man". Yuck.

...so what do you think it's all about then spackb0y ???

if it's not about evolution of the self and ultimately the collective...

...I can see what you mean about that book having objectivist undertones

tryptych

waiting for a time
Hah.. what do I think? Well, I think it would be arrogant of me to state what I think is going on...

I do think there is collective at work, but not collective mind in the common sense. More like Hegelian collective spirit, but without the religious bit. I'm more interested in describing what we have, what the nature of self and consciousness is, rather than speculating on the metaphysical stuff beyond.

I just think that guided or intelligent evoutionary ideas are human arrogance at us being anything more than advanced mammals.

Anyway, you should find this interesting - Leo Susskind talking about the crisis in string theory (the failure to account for acceleting expansion in the universe ), and the anthropic principle.
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/mg18825305.800.html

don't get me started on expansion and black holes acting as balance mechanisms to keep the universe in a state of equlibrium like foam on a bubble bath, as one bubble gets bigger another gets smaller but it's all the one membrane connectnig all the bubbles... :confused:

Imagine, if you will bubbles...
expanding as they float around
bumping into other bubbles
and inside of these bubbles
is another bubble expanding
and so on...

...and if all these bubbles
made a musical note,
as they bumped and merged
and expanded,
they created chords and melodies
and so on...

... yeah there was a ripper of an argument between Smolin and Susskind on "the edge" about the anthropic principle

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/smolin_susskind04/smolin_susskind.html

BTW I don't think it's arrogant to state what you think...

...it's arrogant to assume anybody should take any notice of it though

what is this "spirit" you speak of ???

you heard of panspermia ???