Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jay Dee/Jay Dilla

for londoners, dilla tribute gig at cargo on the 15th looks big.

^Deffo

A load of (very good) unreleased stuff in a little mix:

That last one was cool, I've got all those beats somewhere but can't find them now

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    for londoners, dilla tribute gig at cargo on the 15th looks big.
    Might reach this.

Anyone heard much Black Milk? I've heard a few bits and they've got me mildly interested in Hip-Hop again...

if you look at the big name hiphop artists he worked with he is associated with the nadirs of their careers in every single case.

low energy music for low energy people.

(dilla not black milk who never got to work with anyone famous loooool)

I thought Amplified was good outside of the weird Jonathan Davis hook but i can see what youre getting at,i remember ages ago reading this piece where this guy said that Dilla beats were better serviced by guys like Frank-N-Dank than say Common or Talib Kweli because they gave his beats room to breath instead of trying to fill in every bit of the pocket

also come on man Black Milk,worked with Sean Price although as much as i dislike saying it he sort of became a "famous" name after he died

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    low energy music for low energy people

if you look at the big name hiphop artists he worked with he is associated with the nadirs of their careers in every single case
    only ATCQ really, + I think he got (still gets?) a disproportionate amount of the blame for that

the posthumous "Dilla changed my life" endless unreleased beat tapes stanism can get p irritating but he's hardly the only died young artist to get that treatment

would agree that his beats generally work better with less busy/more lo-fi rappers

worth noting he generally tried to disassociate himself from Native Tongues + backpack rap in general

don't follow these things like some people here but I gotta think he casts a vast shadow on lo-fi, soundcloud, etc rap, among other things

I say all this as at best a moderate Dilla fan

there, I've taken the luka stirring things up bait, now u or crowley or whoever can come along + kickstart a convo

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    this is the one i like. if you look at the start of the the thread.
    not just tribe who tbh were always unlistenable but also de la, the pharcyde, common etc

there, I've taken the luka stirring things up bait, now u or crowley or whoever can come along + kickstart a convo
    i dont want to have this convorsation tbh done it loads of times and its boring its just i was having trouble sleeping and was losing inspiration

Best Dillas (IMO)

Spacek - Eve Rmx
    Won't Do
    Shake it Down
    Pause (even Westwood played this one)
    Slum Village - Players, Climax, 2U4U, etc. (Basically that album) + Look of Love...

its boring
    true. not something I've ever cared much about either way. 10 years ago you could've easily ignited a flame war on Okayplayer I'd bet.

for the record tho that Pharcyde LP he worked on is pretty good. definitely not the low point of their career.

fwiw my top Dilla things I can remember are:
    Pharcyde - Drop (c'mon how can you hate on that)
    Fuck The Police
    Slum Village - I Don't Know
    Jaylib - Starz

I do like the random fact that he got his first MPC from Amp Fiddler

I saw some interesting things in the psychedelic thread when u brought up Balearic so if I have a chunk of time today or soon I'll do a proper thoughts response

true. not something I've ever cared much about either way. 10 years ago you could've easily ignited a flame war on Okayplayer I'd bet.

for the record tho that Pharcyde LP he worked on is pretty good. definitely not the low point of their career.
    as far as i know they only made two albums and labcabin is the 2nd best one.
    i like runnin a lot and moment in time is one of my favourite songs in the world
    but i dont like drop. just a moment in time made me double down on everything
    and make less concessions to like, doing what my mum and teachers and other fascisyts
    wants me to and stuff,
    cos its only a moment in time so you just have to grit your teeth till its done
    it was a spiritual epiphany.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: