Jay Dee/Jay Dilla

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Haven't seen this in years!

Anyone heard his brother Illa J's "Yancey Boys" albums completely produced by Dilla? Besides that album and the unreleased "Pay Jay" LP from MCA that leaked earlier this year that's it for any "new" Dilla material. The man was not 2Pac (although several of his closest friends and associates have beats from him they've yet to record on or release yet).

One.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I love some stuff on 'Jay Loves Japan' too (another posthumous compilation, afaik).

Does anyone here like Black Milk (one of Dilla's proteges)? I just found his stuff last week, and I absolutely love it:

crackerjack

Anyone heard his brother Illa J's "Yancey Boys" albums completely produced by Dilla?

Only heard once, but I thought it was really weak - sounded like a load of outtakes from his less interesting Ummah-ish stuff.

Does anyone here like Black Milk (one of Dilla's proteges)? I just found his stuff last week, and I absolutely love it:

Haven't heard anything yet by this bloke that I don't love, but apart from the mixtape with Bishop Lamont it all seems to be isolated tracks. Anyone recommend one really cohesive album (old fashioned rockist that I am)?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Haven't heard anything yet by this bloke that I don't love, but apart from the mixtape with Bishop Lamont it all seems to be isolated tracks. Anyone recommend one really cohesive album (old fashioned rockist that I am)?

outside of his solo stuff he produced almost all of Elzhi's recent album The Preface, which is outrageously sick

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
this song from his new album is so so good.

EDIT: I'm talking about black milk not Dilla, sorry if i didn't make that clear.

Last edited:

Algierstwin

anywhere one can obtain that shit by dilla & tribe. . in a digital format? Only place I've seen it was on one of those funk master flex mixtapes which are ny on extinct.

mms

sometimes
anywhere one can obtain that shit by dilla & tribe. . in a digital format? Only place I've seen it was on one of those funk master flex mixtapes which are ny on extinct.

most of the dilla and tribe stuff is on their last 2 albums the love movenment and beats rhymes and life ? which are almost certainly avaliable on itunes etc. that's the stuff as the ummah (brotherhood) which was dilla, qtip and ali shaeed muhammed.

Last edited:

luka

if you look at the big name hiphop artists he worked with he is associated with the nadirs of their careers in every single case.

low energy music for low energy people.

(dilla not black milk who never got to work with anyone famous loooool)

forclosure

I thought Amplified was good outside of the weird Jonathan Davis hook but i can see what youre getting at,i remember ages ago reading this piece where this guy said that Dilla beats were better serviced by guys like Frank-N-Dank than say Common or Talib Kweli because they gave his beats room to breath instead of trying to fill in every bit of the pocket

also come on man Black Milk,worked with Sean Price although as much as i dislike saying it he sort of became a "famous" name after he died

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
if you look at the big name hiphop artists he worked with he is associated with the nadirs of their careers in every single case
only ATCQ really, + I think he got (still gets?) a disproportionate amount of the blame for that

the posthumous "Dilla changed my life" endless unreleased beat tapes stanism can get p irritating but he's hardly the only died young artist to get that treatment

would agree that his beats generally work better with less busy/more lo-fi rappers

worth noting he generally tried to disassociate himself from Native Tongues + backpack rap in general

don't follow these things like some people here but I gotta think he casts a vast shadow on lo-fi, soundcloud, etc rap, among other things

I say all this as at best a moderate Dilla fan

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
there, I've taken the luka stirring things up bait, now u or crowley or whoever can come along + kickstart a convo