Jay Dee/Jay Dilla

luka

there, I've taken the luka stirring things up bait, now u or crowley or whoever can come along + kickstart a convo

i dont want to have this convorsation tbh done it loads of times and its boring its just i was having trouble sleeping and was losing inspiration

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Best Dillas (IMO)

Spacek - Eve Rmx
Won't Do
Shake it Down
Pause (even Westwood played this one)
Slum Village - Players, Climax, 2U4U, etc. (Basically that album) + Look of Love...

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
its boring
true. not something I've ever cared much about either way. 10 years ago you could've easily ignited a flame war on Okayplayer I'd bet.

for the record tho that Pharcyde LP he worked on is pretty good. definitely not the low point of their career.

fwiw my top Dilla things I can remember are:
Pharcyde - Drop (c'mon how can you hate on that)
Fuck The Police
Slum Village - I Don't Know
Jaylib - Starz

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I do like the random fact that he got his first MPC from Amp Fiddler

I saw some interesting things in the psychedelic thread when u brought up Balearic so if I have a chunk of time today or soon I'll do a proper thoughts response

luka

true. not something I've ever cared much about either way. 10 years ago you could've easily ignited a flame war on Okayplayer I'd bet.

for the record tho that Pharcyde LP he worked on is pretty good. definitely not the low point of their career.

as far as i know they only made two albums and labcabin is the 2nd best one.
i like runnin a lot and moment in time is one of my favourite songs in the world
but i dont like drop. just a moment in time made me double down on everything
and make less concessions to like, doing what my mum and teachers and other fascisyts
wants me to and stuff,
cos its only a moment in time so you just have to grit your teeth till its done
it was a spiritual epiphany.

CrowleyHead

Recently tried Donuts again for the first time in years.

So much of it is exhausting and tedious, but he was easily the 'master' of the MPC to a certain extent of schooling as far as beatmaking goes, which is in itself an overrated school of beatmaking but yes.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like donuts sometimes. i was listening to it last night whilst hypnogogic. It reminded me of how I like the retro trend when its not trying to be futurist at all. great ambient record, takes me back to my childhood when radio could be just that bit more eclectic in its tone colourings and textures. it all sounds so materially disembodied, like all those soul samples are invoked in such a way that it's almost like, this is what we've got, we're not going back. but like I'd rather listen to donuts any time to chill out than Harold Budd who is unspeakably dull - hmm, maybe I should give Lovely Thunder another chance again?

That being said j dilla as this future jazz innovator was always laughable (risible even.) I've always been a half fan.

Last edited: