luka

Craner recently drew me up a list of lurid political journalism I can't wait to get stuck in

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Does "lurid political journalism" mean political journalism written in a lurid style or political journalism describing lurid acts such as William Hague pissing in the mouth of a rent boy/girl?

droid

I just thought he gave a very good overview of a fairly terrifying situation. Not really the same perspective as Gomorrah TBF.

luka

Hunter s Thompson was a 9/11 truther. Cia job. Didnt he go bohemian grove once? Worship the owl.

droid

Oh. Speaking of non-fiction, this is incredible

19510092.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've picked up and perused "Into That Darkness" on several occasions. For some reason I love reading books about "evil" men/women (does that require inverted commas?).

It would be good to have a thread (if one doesn't exist) of online articles that are worth reading, too. I'm always reading articles from The New Yorker, e.g.

Baboon, since you liked ''King of the World'', this compilation of Remnick's articles for TNY is really good, has brilliant pieces on Mike Tyson as well as Solzenhitsyn, Putin, Philip Roth...

droid

What's particularly good about it is her wider exploration of moral ambiguity and the role of the church.

Last edited:

you

Oh no! I adore his stuff.

I particularly liked "The Men From Porlock", “The Siphon”, "The Carrion Gods in Their Heaven" and “The Jaws of Saturn”, but its the unsettling atmosphere and conviction of his stuff that grabs me as much as the narratives.

If youre still looking for some quality horror, John Langan is worth a read.

Cool, will check out those stories, thanks. Yeah, it's actually my sort of literature but there was something off in that first story, something about some key descriptive points that bothered me. I'll give him another bash soon :)

Reading a great book about Jimmy Savile atm.

51KKaLsngyL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Cannot big this book up enough ^^ I really got under my skin, I got a little obsessed... not just because of Savile but the whole world around him.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Baboon, since you liked ''King of the World'', this compilation of Remnick's articles for TNY is really good, has brilliant pieces on Mike Tyson as well as Solzenhitsyn, Putin, Philip Roth...

Thanks, will def check that out.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/-sp-roberto-saviano-my-life-under-armed-guard-gomorrah This interview with Saviano is fascinating and very depressing. Is there really nowhere in the world where the camorra can't reach him? His honesty about the decisions he made is disarming, too.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Finished "The Fight". As predicted, the chapters where he describes the fight itself are spectacular, if almost overstuffed with metaphors. On the whole, not a great book but a great writer. Has anyone read any Mailer? I suppose " The Quick and the Dead" is the one to go for next?

I intend to read either Cosmopolis, Titus Groan or that book about Savile next.

luka

I'm reading star signs by Linda Goodman. Can everyone tell me their sign so I can look them up pls

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Finished "The Fight". As predicted, the chapters where he describes the fight itself are spectacular, if almost overstuffed with metaphors. On the whole, not a great book but a great writer. Has anyone read any Mailer? I suppose " The Quick and the Dead" is the one to go for next?

Great writer indeed, not sure entirely what I think about him as a person. His relationship with James Baldwin is interesting.

The first few chapters of Of a Fire on the Moon (I never read the whole thing for some reason) are phenomenal. It was out of print when I read it though, had to order a copy from some far-flung library. Executioner's Song I started too, but it's about 1200 pages or something silly. Good while I stayed with it though.