Page 116 of 223 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 3342

Thread: what are you reading now?

BTW I should also mention that this year I got really into Jean Rhys. Would recommend her books to anyone - have read them all except for Wide Sargasso Sea, which is in the pile.

That's the only one I have read...
    But back to Earthsea. In the first book, did you find something strange, almost unsatisfactory about the disappearance of Jasper from the narrative? It seems as though there ought to be some reckoning or reconciliation between them but it never occurs and he is only mentioned briefly as the monster at the end momentarily assumes his shape. Is the implication that he has been subsumed into the shadow or is it just that the shadow takes the shape of everything that has been against Ged including Jasper? Perhaps Le Guin simply refuses to go in the direction that the conventions of story telling would seem to suggest but it felt as though that part of the story had been forgotten.

uylesses is hard work isnt it. ive ignored it until now but ive been out of work, lot of time on my hands. started off quite enjoying it but it really drags. all these boring things happening to boring people. have to concentrate really hard just to work out someones having a pint or peering down some birds blouse. wouldnt say its a bad book, just that you probably need about 5 years to finish it.

Two recommendations for Craner:

The Teleportation Accident

Yellow Blue Tibia

Both could be (very) loosely described as sci fi.

"uylesses is hard work isnt it. ive ignored it until now but ive been out of work, lot of time on my hands. started off quite enjoying it but it really drags. all these boring things happening to boring people. have to concentrate really hard just to work out someones having a pint or peering down some birds blouse. wouldnt say its a bad book, just that you probably need about 5 years to finish it."
    Bits of it certainly are. It's the bit with the people on the beach where I ground to a halt. Didn't help that I couldn't fit it in my luggage when I went to Russia so I had a two week break at precisely the most boring bit (so far).

If you keep going with Ulysses it gets vertiginous again but yeah has some super dull bits.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    That's the only one I have read...
    But back to Earthsea. In the first book, did you find something strange, almost unsatisfactory about the disappearance of Jasper from the narrative? It seems as though there ought to be some reckoning or reconciliation between them but it never occurs and he is only mentioned briefly as the monster at the end momentarily assumes his shape. Is the implication that he has been subsumed into the shadow or is it just that the shadow takes the shape of everything that has been against Ged including Jasper? Perhaps Le Guin simply refuses to go in the direction that the conventions of story telling would seem to suggest but it felt as though that part of the story had been forgotten.
    Funny you should mention this. I thought Jasper was such an obvious character/theme to return to that I spent the rest of the books waiting for his reappearance. For a while I was even convinced that the "dark lord" type in The Farthest Shore was going to end up being him. Strange, but that's how fairy tales go, I suppose.

No problem at all with the 4th book and I'm about halfway now.

"If you keep going with Ulysses it gets vertiginous again but yeah has some super dull bits."
    "No problem at all with the 4th book and I'm about halfway now."
    OK, I will keep going, I hate not finishing books to be honest.

At the moment though I'm reading this which I found in my friend's hallway, one of her neighbours was throwing it out.

http://acommonreader.org/the-last-ka...ichard-zimler/

The book compares it to Eco which is generous but it's a fun read. The writing is clunky at times - or it sort of feels as though it needed a read through again, there are a lot of bits when it says things like "Nothing could scare me now after what I'd seen. I walked up the stairs feeing terrified".

ive got stuck on the music chapter but im going to plough on i will. im taking a break with the klf book someone here just mentioned which ties in with me rereading coincidance by RAW which is what led me to finally have a crack at joyce.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    OK, I will keep going, I hate not finishing books to be honest.
    The 4th is becoming my favourite! Definitely give it ten out of ten, as with the others.

Reading and revelling in.

Quote Originally Posted by blacktulip View Post
    The 4th is becoming my favourite! Definitely give it ten out of ten, as with the others.
    I like the fourth Earthsea book but then I'm currently reading (and enjoying) Heretics of Dune. For anyone who like Earthsea, I highly recommend Patricia McKillip.

Well I did finish the fourth Earthsea one and it did pick up a bit. Intriguing hints of various parts of the past had me wanting to get to the bottom of things and the baddie was so horribly evil that I couldn't wait for him to get what was coming to him. Although I did feel that you wait a loooong time for anything to happen and then when it does it's over way too quickly.
    Overall the four books do make something pretty incredible but I'm not sure that I'm going to make the effort to search out any further books she may have written afterwards if she continues in that vein.

Left Hand of Darkness is well worth seeking out. Not Earthsea based, more science fiction.

Hello again. You are right about the change of pace but I actually loved that. The fourth became my favourite (just edging out the first one) and one of the things I love the most was the insane rhythm of the ending. It left me breathless.

There is a fifth book which I thought was great too: The Other Wind. My friend rated the first four 5/5 on that Goodreads thing, and the fifth 4/5. I can see why he did that, but I love the Earthsea setting and the way she writes in general, so no real complaints here.

I also read most of the stories set there, in book called Tales from Earthsea. There were some 5/5s in there too. Now I have withdrawal symptoms and just wish like hell that she'll write more Earthsea things in future somehow.