Page 124 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2700

Thread: what are you reading now?

Clarice Lispector recently - adore her.
    Chris Kraus, Torpor. Excellent.

In A Lonely Place - Dorothy B. Hughes (as filmed a few years later featuring Bogart and Gloria Grahame). A good read. Not as hardboiled as Thompson re the inside-the-mind-of-a-killer angle but fine all the same.

That K-punk book. The Joy Division chapter's very good.

black mischief by evelyn waugh.

hes fucking funny waugh. think i was put off by his name when i was younger. scoop, decline and fall, handful of dust - all v funny.

julian cope's novel which is gormless and written like how a teen grebo who hates townies would write if they had never read a book before or had contact with written english.

Quote Originally Posted by bandshell View Post
    I get the impression it's a bit like a very British poor man's Pynchon, like Alan Partridge does Pynchon or something.

Currently reading The Savage Detectives; so far, so good.
    I'm still on it but sat in the sun today and remembered how easy it is to read Bolano...

I read Ligotti's new book, The Spectral Link, today - very good, he's definitely becoming more allegorical and philosophical imo

Loved Lispector's 'The Passion According to G.H.', and also - obviously different, but not a million miles away in spirit - Helena Parente Cunha's 'Woman Between Mirrors'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucia Lanigan View Post
    Loved Lispector's 'The Passion According to G.H.', and also - obviously different, but not a million miles away in spirit - Helena Parente Cunha's 'Woman Between Mirrors'.
    I was obsessed with 'The Passion...', I started a hangout to discuss all the references to continental philosophy and Lacan and stuff. Loads of excellent gender comments in the book too. I can add you to the hangout if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    @faustus

yeah, still here and with a baby on the way so i guess i´m here for good!

not heard of any of your suggestions, will investigate thanks
    ¡Enhorabuena!

Another one that springs to mind - Lo mejor que le puede pasar a un cruasan by Pablo Tusset (name might be misspelled) - slacker comedy, spoof noir

I think a few years ago I recommended you Sin noticias de Gurb by Eduardo Mendoza - anything else by that author is worth reading, especially his detective stuff (it's a four or five part series, the first one has stupid name something like The Mystery of the Haunted Crypt but is honestly really good and very funny

Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    I was obsessed with 'The Passion...', I started a hangout to discuss all the references to continental philosophy and Lacan and stuff. Loads of excellent gender comments in the book too. I can add you to the hangout if you wish.
    Thanks, but what were all the references to Lacan and continental philosophy? I don't remember there being any in the book. That lot are like stalkers who think their prey are sending them secret messages, so I've become pretty arm's length about that stuff (saves time).

There's a lot about religion and the anatomy of cockroaches in there, and I guess psychology, but her approach to that last one strikes me as being pretty individual and not much steered by any particular school of thought.

Finished "Parades End" and read a little bit about Ford Madox Ford. Turns out he co-wrote books (the first one a "quasi-science fiction" - http://www.theguardian.com/books/boo...cience-fiction) with Joseph Conrad early on in his career -
    http://www.noumenal.com/marc/jcfmf/index2.html
    "For that reason, the collaborative texts have a documentary, evidentiary, archeological claim on all serious scholars of modernist literature, and particularly on those scholars who, like me, believe that Ford and Conrad, at their best, are the best of the twentieth century."
    I won't be reading these co-op books, but it's interesting to know that they worked together.

and I'm almost finished with "Canada" by Richard Ford. Around 500 carefully (20 years in writing according to Wikipedia) written pages about the effects of two crimes (but it's not a crime novel).
    Quite slow and majestic like a Low-track ("Canada"?)
    Just over 3 stars on Amz, but I think it's brilliant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_(novel)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canada-Richa...dp/1408831007/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-19266275
    Last edited by Ness Rowlah; 11-08-2014 at 06:41 AM.
    Ness Rowlah

i have just finished a superb book entitled TAFFIN by the author Lyndon Mallet. it is about a hard ,an, a debt collector with principles who takes on property developers when they try to move the allotments which have been in the village for generations; it has very good cover too-

lol. There's a book of taffin?

there are three. i found the first two in a 2nd hand bookshop. the third is proving to be very elusive. i like them very much. the third is called ASK TAFFIN NICELY. let me know if you find a copy.

Youve seen the film I assume?

ive never seen the film, i only know about it cos i was googling the books.