CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I was looking into buying 'Milton's God' and also 'Milton's Grand Style' but they're both at least 20 quid on amazon for some unGodly reason

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
'Yet he was determined to present the whole of the relevant text of Genesis, however literally false in his own opinion; as by making God walk in the Garden, or punish .the race of serpents. The surface effect is much what Yvor Winters described, but Milton had a very different purpose; the requirement made him give a grim picture of God, as he came to realize increasingly, one would think, while the work of detailed imagination went forward.'

This is interesting - I keep wondering, reading PL, which bits are taken directly from the Bible, never having read the Bible (well, I skimmed Genesis once, and as I recall the whole story of Adam and Eve is relayed very briefly). And also, Milton's consciousness of God's severity, and him rendering the tormented mind of the Christian through Adam and Eve.

jenks

thread death
dont have to go mad. 3000 words or thereabouts will suffice.

I keep thinking I'd like to contribute to this discussion but I haven't read PL for many years. I remember finding it hard the first time as I was studying it for my degree but when i read it the second time for my own pleasure i got so much more out of it - i didn't bother worrying about bits i didn't understand or forever ferreting around the footnotes. I like the way the pair of you are just tearing through it, gorging on the fleshy bits that suit your tastes.

Obviously it is a brilliant, dazzling piece of work but it's also as mad as anything in English - an attempt to write a Latin verse epic in English whilst bashing Catholics at every opportunity. The puritan strain of savage violence that runs through the whole thing, its obsession with guilt, punishment and retribution is a peculiar way to look at the world unless your're in a millennial fever convinced the end of the world is nigh. Which may, of course, be why it's so appealing now.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I think I'd have struggled a lot more without the audiobook to drag me along - I often find Anton Lesser's reading eccentric/wrong but as a general rule very good and especially at supplying the emotion and inflection that its easy to miss without the punctuation to help you (this was a problem with me understanding Shakespeare for a long time)

What I like about the madness of it all (aside from the madness of it all) is that its convolution throws light on the way humans have had to imagine and reason in order to explain where we came from, why we're here, why there is evil, how we are capable of writing epic poems AND genocide, etc. Especially given the context of Milton's life (which I only know a little about), hardly surprising that he would be obsessed with guilt, punishment, justice, divine right, etc.

Edit: and additionally, as the stuff with the cursing of the serpents shows, having to explain what the Bible said, which was considered sacred in them days.

Last edited:

luka

next you should read the cantos by ezra pound. then read the maximus poems by charles olson.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One of the funniest of Harold Bloom's humblebrags is when he reveals that as a child he had Paradise Lost by heart. (I'm assuming he means all of it.)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
OTOH I am making it seem like it has been particularly challenging

Actually I've kept finding myself amazed at how interested I am in it. There are intensely boring passages stuffed with arcane allusions but whenever people start talking, especially, it gets good. Actually seems a shame that Milton didn't write plays - except of course Paradise Lost is scaled as large as you can get. And who needs Milton plays when you have Shakespeare's?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One thing I like about it is the way it shows the variety of arguments that can be advanced for and against many moral decisions, while proclaiming that there IS a correct answer, that there is absolute good that has to be reasoned towards. But the sheer power of the arguments AGAINST what Milton believes is good undermines that sense of Good. Not least because God, as the embodiment (to use the wrong word) of good, moves in absolutely nonsensical ways. Milton is great at showing how people (and angels) can persuade others and themselves to do the right or wrong thing. What's boring and inexplicable about God is that God knows all and never questions himself, or anything else really. Again, probably a commonplace observation, but Milton's mind works in opposition to the divine, settled order of things - he questions, he argues, he agonies, etc. There's this double-mindedness to the whole thing which makes it extremely strange.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I almost think the best way to get kids interested in Shakespeare would be to force them to read Paradise Lost first lol

After Paradise Lost a Shakespeare play will seem like being let out early to run wild in the playground oi

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Finished! The last two books are rather dull, unfortunately, but the closing lines are justly famous.

The world is all before me

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Love that picture I'm thinking of getting it framed

In other hell related news which will please you, I read some of "Season of Hell" last night while stoned and I was very into it, particularly the verse bits.

Its a side by side translation and I can see how reading something like that could be a fun way to learn French (though the pronunciation would be fucked I suppose).

luka

french pronunciation is easy you know it instinctively. just think of how they say television and chocolate and that. piece of piss. it's more the pattern of stresses you'll be at sea with. no real idea of where the emphasis falls.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
French doesn't really do stressed and unstressed syllables, except for deliberate emphasis.

I like how Spanish helps you out with acute accents to tell you where to put the stress. Very generous.

luka

languages are like maths. its just a subsection of humans that can do it. leave them to it really. waste of time trying to learn if youre not one of them.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Dr Johnson on Milton:

But original deficience cannot be supplied. The want of human interest is always felt. Paradise Lost is one of the books which the reader admires and lays down, and forgets to take up again. None ever wished it longer than it is. Its perusal is a duty rather than a pleasure. We read Milton for instruction, retire harassed and overburdened, and look elsewhere for recreation; we desert our master, and seek for companions.