woops

is not like other people
second read through of steve hanley's book the big midweek also read susan sontag's essay on artaud

jenks

thread death
Two very good non-fiction:
Julian Barnes' latest about the end of the nineteenth century in France - full of stuff about art, literature, culture, politics - total anathema to many dissensians i am sure as it is written in clear prose and makes no reference to arcana in any shape or shade.

Axiomatic by Maria Tumarkin which looks at different types of trauma using various case studies - looking at well worn cliches about the past affecting the present.

https://sydneyreviewofbooks.com/axiomatic-maria-tumarkin-review/

luka

I bumped into the illustrious jenks the other day he was having a lads days out getting lagered up with his mate and then going to browse the shelves at London review of books followed by a trip to an exhibition at the British museum.

luka

You'd Think I was making that up but I'm honestly not. He had the day off cos of half term.

craner

Beast of Burden
To be fair we went to the Whitechapel Art Gallery with such sick hangovers I almost knocked over an exhibit.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm reading a book that I started ages ago and then lost - but found again on my shelf the other day. It's called Night Train to Lisbon and I picked it up in a charity shop (I think) for obvious reasons. Seems to be about an unworldly professor of language in Switzerland who has a leap of faith type moment and drops everything to go to Lisbon. It's got a load of stuff pondering about language and how words make things happen as if by magic plus attempts at poetry at times... but the jury is still out really. We'll see.

other_life

bioconfused
The Ways That Never Parted: Jews and Christians in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages
fascinating shit. linking it to other interests. weird to read this longer collection w stuff about ya'aqov frank and his Crypto-Christian Anti-Intellectual Sensualist Cult in between. entertaining possibilities for new concepts of 'biblically-based spiritualities' (this term feels inadequate, but how the scholars collected here often phrase it, as opposed to hegemonic/blanket 'judaism' or 'christianity')

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not a scholar here, but 'Abrahamic' refers to Judaism and all the religions that sprang from it, ie. Christianity, Islam and the more minor ones like Druze and Rastafari.

'Judeo-Christian' refers to just those two traditions collectively.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us about Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence

by Michael Pollan

Was listening to the audiobook at work yesterday. Gave me a contact high and a lot of hope.

luka

How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us about Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence

by Michael Pollan

Was listening to the audiobook at work yesterday. Gave me a contact high and a lot of hope.

Me and Matthew ingrams saw him give a talk in Greenwich. Rupert Sheldrakes was there too.

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=5953

Actually bumped into the woebot today he was in a huge bright blue puffa jacket

other_life

bioconfused
i'm like 200 pages into gershom scholem's 'shabetai tzvi'
where do i find contemporary shabateans? i wanna join AMIRAH's cult