Page 170 of 178 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 2668

Thread: what are you reading now?

You'll need to expand on that provocative point, I'm afraid.

I'm just finishing Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack, which is fairly impressive bit of collapsing-society borderline SF, but might have been emotionally safer to read in a time when it felt a slightly thicker hair's breadth from reality.

i'm on a peter hopkirk binge. i found trespassers on the roof of the world in hong kong, read it in one go, then read foreign devils on the silk road which is about the 19th century extraction/pillage of the lost artefacts of the taklamakan and environs. both are terrific books for anyone with an interest in central asian history/culture. now reading the great game. you get your money's worth with hopkirk: thrilling stories, impeccable english, a better understanding of today's rivalries and none of the revisionist nonsense a modern writer would inject. as the germans would say, tip!
    la sonrisa es divina, la risa humana, la carcajada animal

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    I'm just finishing Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack, which is fairly impressive bit of collapsing-society borderline SF, but might have been emotionally safer to read in a time when it felt a slightly thicker hair's breadth from reality.
    Read this a few years back and think of it often. Hauntingly plausible.

Just finished Rodigan's book. Nothing spectacular but a good read. Would be a nice intro for reggae and soundclash neophytes.

Nearly finished The Golden Bough - just approaching the section that deals with the Crucifixion in terms of an established tradition of sacrificial scapegoats, which apparently caused a bit of a stir when first published.

Feel like I should tackle Graves' The White Goddess or some Joseph Campell next. All these works are referenced in the intro to the 50th anniversary edition of Dune that I got last year, along with Spengler's Decline of the West, which is surely more apposite now than ever.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 11-04-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

There's a big difference between Campbell and graves. The graves is frankly incomprehensible. The Campbell is fairly trite although not without interest. I'd recommend a vision by yeats as a mid point
    I love spengler though. Great fun.
    Last edited by luka; 11-04-2017 at 10:38 PM.

He's the thinking man's favourite Ghostbuster, for sure.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

There's also the one the wasteland draws from heavily, Jessie L Weston From Ritual to Romance

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I've embarked on against the day. I'm only 300 pages in but I'm enjoying it more than any other Pynchon I've read before.

I read Howards End recently. I did not like it. Forster feels like a macho author (well aware of the irony of this). Each character felt flat, a person made to prove a point - not a person he empathised with
    Particularly Leonard Bast I think the consensus says.

I also read Cosmopolis by DeLillo. This is the third of his I'd read. White Noise blew me away but since then this, and Zero K, have really left me disappointed.
    I can't think of many that I've enjoyed other than White Noise. Maybe Americana or whatever it's called had some good bits. Underworld didn't really seem to have the ideas to justify its size.

You should all give Anthony Powell's Dance to the Music of Time a crack. It's worth the investment.

They've already read it you sap!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Idle rich. Woops. Maybe even Mr tea