Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174
Results 2,596 to 2,603 of 2603

Thread: what are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Quintessential Tea criticism. Also highly wrong.
    I'm unarguably right about the stage direction, though.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Joyce famously thought Ibsen was a superior dramatist to Shakespeare. I think there is a line of criticism which sees Shakespeare's achievement as being the poetry, not the plays (if you can separate the two things, I'm sure some would say that's impossible). And then there's Harold Bloom, at the extreme other end, who thinks Shakespeare 'invented the human'.

There was a good, if extremely thespy, film version of Coriolanus a few years back, which I liked. Anyone else see it?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I've seen many decent versions of Shakespeare in recent times and think that the general quality of the RSC productions over the last ten years has been very high. It really is about the stage and not just the page.

I am very firmly on the pro - Winter's Tale club - there are great bits in there about friendship as well as jealousy, young and old love and the quality of mysticism of the coup de theatre of the final scenes is (when performed well) very moving.

Finally got my hands on Joanna Demers' 'Drone and the apocalypse'. Some really nice writing, bit heavy on the philosophy. Worth a read.

http://www.zero-books.net/books/drone-apocalypse

The 7th function of language by Laurent Binet. Would once have been a Dissensus book of the week.