Page 176 of 179 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 2679

Thread: what are you reading now?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

aint read a colder book then james ellroy - american tabloid in the past three years

every return read been great guys a master, need to read the LA series
    snmbsm
    @italkenoughshitonhere

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trilliam For This Useful Post:

I need to read an Ellroy - I've read a couple of Elmore Leonard books ('Killshot' and 'Freaky Deaky') and absolutely loved both.

Ellroy is the great American novelist. Throw De Lilo, Roth, Bellow, etc al in bin. Ellroy is the only one. I've read all of them. Cold six thousands is my favourite.

Have to agree that there are few that can touch Ellroy - the master of shame, disgust, self loathing, betrayal and double cross. I thought Perfidia took him in to even more interesting territory and the idea of a second LA quartet set in WWII - that could be quite something.

What I really wanted was Ellroy doing Iran-Contra but I later found a quote specifically saying he has too much respect and admiration for Reagan to do that. Such a lurid period. Cocaine '80s. Would have been one the best books ever written

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    What I really wanted was Ellroy doing Iran-Contra but I later found a quote specifically saying he has too much respect and admiration for Reagan to do that. Such a lurid period. Cocaine '80s. Would have been one the best books ever written
    well if i didnt think he was a racist before
    snmbsm
    @italkenoughshitonhere

He's definitely on the right to some degree yeah.a reactionary. Some of it may be liberal baiting for giggles.

The real, hardcore, conviction racists (kkk etc) in the books are protraYed as contemptible, grubby, mentally deficienct geeks by and large tho tbf but I dunno

I was careful reading them on public transport in case someone glanced over and thought I was reading neo nazi literature tbh

He's never, as far as I know, come out and said something like "African culture is primitive and could never produce a Shakespeare" like out and proud racist Saul Bellow did

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Careful.
    Google it

Couldn't sleep last night and ended up actually finishing a Shakespeare play! It was A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I feel like a fool now cos I can't think of anything to say about it, but I did enjoy it a lot and actually found some of it legitimately funny. (E.G. Lysander, doped up on fairy juice, saying to former-beau Hermia 'Get you gone, you dwarf,. You minimus of hindering knotgrass made,. You bead, you acorn!')

This thoroughly obscure line, for some reason, stuck out for me as an example of Shakespeare's 'music':

'And jealous Oberon would have the child
    Knight of his train, to trace the forests wild;'

It's probably easier for me to 'hear' the musicality of verse when it rhymes, as a lot of the verse in AMNDream does.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Two minor plot points that confuse me

1. Why does Helena tell Demetrius that Hermia/Lysander have eloped? The idea is presumably to make Demetrius follow them into the forest, by why would that help out Helena?

2. Why does Oberon plan to have Titania fall in love with a wild beast - why would her shame over this cause her to give up her Indian changeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    2. Why does Oberon plan to have Titania fall in love with a wild beast - why would her shame over this cause her to give up her Indian changeling?
    For the bantz?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you