Page 178 of 179 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179 LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 2679

Thread: what are you reading now?

  1. #2656
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,023

    Default

    Continuing notes on 'The Black Dahlia' - the appearance of 'The Dahlia' herself like a savage knife attack for anyone reading for Chandleresque glamour, especially as the crime was real, her corpse was real. I had to read a nice David Foster Wallace essay about Roger Federer before I went to bed because the thought of the crime and the 'grinning' corpse was so awful. (Reminds me of watching 'Zodiac' and being so disturbed by the actuality of the crimes it depicted that I had to turn it off.)

  2. #2657
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    But to answer your question this is a hard one. And I'm personally glad you asked this question because people for sure like to look over the fact the Scorpio's have MASSIVE ego's themselves. It's just that Leo's are such an exuberant and vital sign which is why you don't notice it as much with Scorpios. Leo's are ruled by the Sun and the sun brings vitality and gives life which is why Leo's tend to get the most attention and rep in the egotistical department.

    I honestly can't pick because some Leo's are more egotistical than Scorpio's and some Scorpio's are more egotistical than Leo's. So I'll just say this. At the end of the day Leo's are"commonly" much more renowned for being MUCH more warm hearted and loving than Scorpio's so I think Leo's positive traits out shine the who "Leo's are so egotistical" thing.

    If you notice, (and astrology has said this about Leo's as well), when a Leo is happy mostly everyone will usually be happy due to Leo's being a source of life and energy and wanting to help others...When Scorpio's are happy, it's usually only that Scorpio that is happy because Scorpio's are only 100% at ease when in their eyes are in total control over everything and everyone ans using others. Not helping then.

    Sure both Leo's and Scorpio's are the powerhouses of astrology with huge ego's, but ask yourself on a general bases who makes up for it will a forgiving, loving and deep down genuine nature that only wants to see people happy? Ask your self when one of the two signs egos are not fed, who resorts to violence, grudge holding and vindictiveness as a means to get rid of the perceived threat?

  3. #2658
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Actually, you may (with good cause) take the piss out of Oto, but going there as regularly as I have done has made me a better listener. I don't know if I could define how, I just know it has. Not going as much right now 'cos of the baby but hope to get back on it soon.
    I can understand this

  4. #2659
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    36

    Default

    just cutting in here... i'm reading "open door" by an argentine writer called iosi havilio - anyone heard of him.
    he's kinda bolano-esque, though not quite as good.
    saw him at a reading recently and he looked like he's slept in the clothes he was in, and had been out all night, which obviously made me warm to him immensely.
    he went on to talk about the "big novel" as a very masculine thing, akin to a penis, whilst poetry is more like a cunt. had the whole room laughing.

    anyway, the book so far is OK, not great. Struggling a little to maintain interest. Just wondered if anyone else has already read it?

  5. #2660
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,440

    Default

    Bolano is mediocre so someone like Bolano but worse doesn't sound all that appealing. I'm reading Wileys book.

  6. #2661
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,440

    Default

    And I'm reading the symposium.

  7. #2662
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,070

    Default

    "Fuck it", I thought, "go big".

    DSC_0075.jpg
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  8. #2663
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,440

    Default

    I love decline of the West. As central to literary modernism as the Golden Bough. Haven't read the full unabridged version of either needless to say

  9. #2664
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,070

    Default

    Golden Bough was great, and yes, I read the abridged version which was big enough by itself. I should probably get back to fiction at some point but I've been really enjoying nonfic lately. Want to read more Jared Diamond.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  10. #2665
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,440

    Default

    Zhao loves that guy. I don't rate it personally

  11. #2666
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Zhao loves that guy. I don't rate it personally
    He's got a scientist's outlook, which might be part of it. It does explain a very great deal though, and where his ideas run up against limitations I appreciate that he doesn't oversell himself.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  12. #2667
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Bolano is mediocre so someone like Bolano but worse doesn't sound all that appealing. I'm reading Wileys book.
    well, i disagree with you there re bolano. i thought he was very good.

    didn't realise wiley's book was out yet?

    all copies of hattie collins' "this is grime" have been nicked from manchester central library

  13. #2668
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,440

    Default

    It's not out that's why I was boasting about having read it. Thanks for noticing

  14. #2669
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Ironically I'm trying to finally push my way out of a book teaching you how to correlate your zodiac w/ the tarot & the kabbalah. Really tedious stuff but fascinating to give Astrology further depth outside of The Traditional Grecian Star Chart stuff.

    Also tried that book "Inside The CIA's Secret War In Jamaica" and ooooof it is just written horrifically. Like you can't even get to the sources he's butchering because its illegible and poorly fleshed out, and its unfortunate b/c I wanted to learn about this and hoped it'd be a good jumping point (I imagine if anyone would know a better book, maybe John?)

  15. #2670
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I love decline of the West. As central to literary modernism as the Golden Bough. Haven't read the full unabridged version of either needless to say
    The other day Radio 3 played Gluck's 'Dance of the Furies' from Orphée et Euridice, 1774:



    followed by something by one of the late Romantics, Saint-Saëns I think, dating from about a century later.

    And it produced this real 'click' moment for me, because I'd just been reading Spengler's description of Baroque and, especially, Classical (sensu-stricto) music as 'the ultimate expression of the Faustian soul' in the final and grandest phase of its Culture period, before supposedly developing into Civilization around 1800, with all the potential of Becoming finally fossilizing into the fact of the Become. And here it was! The contrast between the feeling of the former piece and the cleverness of the latter was palpable.

    Not that this 'proves' Spengler's thesis, by any means, but it is extremely convincing. I do wonder what he'd have thought if he'd lived a bit longer into the 20th century, though - where does pop and rock music fit into his scheme, I wonder? Or hip-hop? I suspect the ultimately Afro-American origins of most modern popular music puts it strictly outside the remit of 'Western' music in the Spenglerian sense.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •