IdleRich

IdleRich
There is this alcoholic couple who keep trying to adopt a child but they are always too hungover to go to the child pound (or whatever) in the mornings so it never happens. Sounds like their dialogue - although the names are different so maybe it's something else.

catalog

I'm enjoying 'providence' by Alan Moore, as a distraction from the hawk book. Very good, way better story already (I'm 1/3 of way thru) than Promethea (I skipped all the story elements of that, couldn't get it at all). Much more like from hell or even Watchmen, as it's got a few different devices going on to keep it interesting (straight comic, text diaries and bits of ephemera). I don't know too much about Lovecraft, I read the houellebecq essay on him and enjoyed, but didn't like the actual story I read ('call of cthulu' I think) so much.

version

I read a brilliant bit in Gaddis the other day where something on TV with Orson Welles breaks into the text so you get this seamless description of Welles falling off a horse, a dog barking and various other things in the middle of a sex scene involving two characters.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just realised that Tom McCarthy of Remainder etc fame wrote a forward for a recent edition of The Recognitions which feels right somehow.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I just think there are other historical things I've enjoyed more... I Claudius, Accursed Kings, Q, some stuff by Gore Vidal. I dunno why really. It was certainly well written and researched and provided an interesting opposite point of view to A Man For All Seasons and other things which make out Thomas More was such a hero.

IdleRich

IdleRich
If you need to get a copy of Wolf Hall you can get one in any charity shop in London, there are always loads there. I guess it sold very well.

droid

The prose is beautiful, there's a deep emotional resonance in her writing which is combined with an unseen depth of research which culminates into an incredible laser like insight into the minds of people who lived hundreds of years ago. Easily the best historical fiction Ive read.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I certainly didn't dislike it, just wanted more somehow... don't think I felt that emotional resonance you describe.

droid

The scene in Wolf Hall where he finds his daughter's angels wings in the cupboard is devastating.

catalog

Never read any of them. Bit have heard they are good. Started watching the TV series but couldn't finish it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But did you ever read I Claudius? Love all the intrigue and back-stabbing in that. And you have Julian by Gore Vidal which deals with later Roman stuff and the influx of christianity... or Accursed Kings which was a huge influence on Game of Thrones, though arguably without the depth of Wolf Hall.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The TV series was excellent. Brilliant performances all round.
Of I Claudius? When I was at Borders one of the older women in accounts loaned me her copy on VHS! My flatmate (correctly) described it as loads of luvvies and plastic swords but it's still brilliant.