Page 182 of 182 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182
Results 2,716 to 2,722 of 2722

Thread: what are you reading now?

yeah one of my bÍtes noires. him and dan snow and various other creatures of complacent privilege.

As an old landscape archaeologist, i enjoyed Macfarlane's dedication in sifting thru the linguistic stratigraphy of various ethnic groups that have all attempted to map the British Isles over time. My main gripe with Macfarlane was the book didnt go far enough into pre-christian deities & mythological influences on landmark names & features (& their appropriation by christianity), which is what Ithell Colquhoun manages so well, ie the number of hill tops in Britain with a St Michael moniker. But her chronologies are well out of date, even if her themes are spot on & even then she doesnt quite get the why the Neolithic had such an obsession with the monuments she explored.

Thats the problem with archaeology generally. Its clogged up with Tristrams and public school gimps who, because of the strength of their range of influences taught between 11-16, means they then have a clear head start @ undergrad, then dominate the field from post-grad levels onward. Of the handful of AHRC grants handed out for PhD's in my own cohort, the vast majority were ex-public school & none of them genuinely needed the money because they didnt have to work 3 jobs out of hours to support themselves (all thanks to good ol' trust-funds). Its unethical and undermines the very training routes for recipients in need of funding schemes like the AHRC claims to represent & support. Same with Snr Research Chairs/Profs. Of the 3 i had, all were from what you might define as higher echelon public schools (2 went to Uppingham & another a top international school in Dubai). All of them were elitist cunts. When the idea of various community archaeology projects were presented to them for appraisal & budgeting for local areas designated by the EU as places of severe poverty, nothing could have sent them scurrying to their favourite watering holes for multiple scotches more quickly.

Cunts.

Thats the problem with archaeology generally.
    that's the problem with this country full stop. it's a stitch up.

it amounts to being run by a genteel mafia. it's intolerable.

yeah but no but the prehistory of these islands are endlessly fascinating

its partially a form of map-ophilia or whatever a map fetish is, but its genuinely good fun to visit & a go for strut at the locations cited, you could get all phenomenological but a sightseer style tour offers a surreal encounter with some of these places themselves if you avoid the tourist hotspots, fresher air, yogurt weaving, avoiding doggers or getting right on one with doggers (its wrong to judge) & getting away from dry literature....as long as you can identify the filters & biases its like pick-pocketing from said cunts & exploring the spectrum of subjects directly

however, if a book could push people toward discovering more about where they live, the more they're likely to feel its worthwhile conserving environments & preserving as much as possible for future generations imho

maybe i spent too much time in the mountains

im all for getting out and about. not many mountains in my neck of the woods though.

what do you make of that wg hoskyns?