subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
China Miéville - October: The Story of the Russian Revolution.

Which includes a glossary of key figures, saying who they were – and so many end with "executed under Stalin".

jenks

thread death
Anita Brookner - A Friend From England (working my way through her oeuvre chronologically)
T J Clarke - Sight of Death (art critic looking specifically at two Poussin paintings)
Re-reading Stendhal's Scarlett and Black (love nineteenth century french novels - just finished an 25 hour audiobook of the Les Rougon-Macquart cycle by Zola)
Tolstoy's Short Stories (cos he's something else)
A collection of early English poetry (comfort read i return to over and again and i need comfort at the moment)

happy to chat about any of them if anyone wants.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anita Brookner - A Friend From England (working my way through her oeuvre chronologically)
T J Clarke - Sight of Death (art critic looking specifically at two Poussin paintings)
Re-reading Stendhal's Scarlett and Black (love nineteenth century french novels - just finished an 25 hour audiobook of the Les Rougon-Macquart cycle by Zola)
Tolstoy's Short Stories (cos he's something else)
A collection of early English poetry (comfort read i return to over and again and i need comfort at the moment)

happy to chat about any of them if anyone wants.
I started The Scarlet and The Black but lost the book... best I can manage... I will read it one day.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've got a folder on my Kindle called "The Alps".

It's got

Ulysses
Swanns Way
Middlemarch

In it. It's really the time to be scaling some Alps isn't it but I'm still shying away from them.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have actually started reading all three at one time or the other. Got a quarter into Ulysses.

Loved them all really but just stopped reading for one reason or another.

luka

i reckon i got about 500 pages into Ulysses before losing my copy somewhere. Anyone on here read the whole thing?

Craner had read it all before he turned 14. Jenks has read it at least once. Mistersloane has read it all.

jenks

thread death
I started The Scarlet and The Black but lost the book... best I can manage... I will read it one day.

I’d really recommend Stendhal - he’s not as pure a stylist as Flaubert but then again Gustave stayed at home whilst Stendhal was in the snow on the retreat from Moscow. Gives a writer a different perspective.

catalog

Ive just read these, as usual very entertaining and satisfyingly wide ranging.

I didnt realise d&g were into lovecraft. Never really read him, but so many roads seem to go back to him. The little of him that i have read seems very juvenile and so i kept thinking, while reading these blogs, that all this druggy journeys business is basically like kids playing.

Guenon sounds interesting, keep seeing his name about. Anyone read him? Is he cancelled? Dugins a big fan i think.

catalog

Also been listening to the pkd bits of erik davis’ ‘high weirdness’, they are also interesting. But something about his voice keeps sending me to sleep!

luka

Ive just read these, as usual very entertaining and satisfyingly wide ranging.

I didnt realise d&g were into lovecraft. Never really read him, but so many roads seem to go back to him. The little of him that i have read seems very juvenile and so i kept thinking, while reading these blogs, that all this druggy journeys business is basically like kids playing.

Guenon sounds interesting, keep seeing his name about. Anyone read him? Is he cancelled? Dugins a big fan i think.

I think he's cancelled, yes. I've not read it. No patience that kind of thing. I like literature, arty stuff.

luka

Lovecraft is very juvenile. It's fascinating that so many people have made so much out of him. Strictly speaking it's utter rubbish. Which is not to say it's unenjoyable.

luka

I reread quite a bit last month so I feel I can state this opinion with confidence. I read the Alan Moore comics then I reread a load of the source texts

catalog

Did you read all of providence? I thought that was really good, although the ending was a bit disappointing. It didnt persuade me to go and read the lovecraft texts, but i might at some point. It feels like lovecraft serves the same purpose as maybe pulp hard boiled american novels did for the french new wave? Mythical/archetypal stories that can be used as skeletons to peg other interests on?

Finished chris petits ‘robinson’ now, it was ok. Hard to focus on a book at the moment, gonna go back to reading grapejuice in sequence i think