Page 190 of 203 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 3035

Thread: what are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    im reading heart of darkness cos another guy i rate, mohsin hamid namechecked marlow n kurtz in one of his books.

how this gain classic status this is unbelievably tortured and orientalist/antiblack to boot. i almost want to read a wikipedia page just to find out what happens at the end but i like to feign the appearance of a cultivated gentleman.

tayeb salih's season of migration to the north is 100x better.
    Conrad certainly portrays the black natives as irredeemably savage and unknowable, but it's the barbarity of the Belgian colonials that most actually horrifies him. References to their attempts to 'civilize' the natives through beatings and forced labour are always drenched in sarcasm. The racism is undeniable but Conrad is far from a cheerleader for imperialism and colonialism, in fact often quite the opposite.

Coincidentally I started Said's Culture and Imperialism the other day - only 30-odd pages in so far but Conrad has perhaps unsurprisingly cropped up a couple of times already.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 06-03-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Gnomon by Nick Harkaway. Adam Roberts with a twist of Eco and Borges. Recommended.

The Big Short, Michael Lewis

It's okay, but a little dry and a lot of the financial stuff goes over my head (... worryingly it seemed to go over the heads of most of Wall Street too).

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Gnomon by Nick Harkaway. Adam Roberts with a twist of Eco and Borges. Recommended.
    i passed this recommendation on to a friend who is currently obsessed with the word gnomon (and the kabbala). what's it about? (concepts/ideas rather than plot please)

Surveillance, the nature of identity, stories within stories, mystical resonance, the chamber of Isis, reality/unreality...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    The Big Short, Michael Lewis

It's okay, but a little dry and a lot of the financial stuff goes over my head (... worryingly it seemed to go over the heads of most of Wall Street too).
    I tried to read 'Liar's Poker' by him a while ago, got totally stuck trying to understand the financial stuff - and one of the virtues of that book is apparently that he made the financial stuff comprehensible to the average joe.

Really liked 'The Undoing Project', though. He's a good storyteller.

Quote Originally Posted by CORP$EY View Post
    one of the virtues of that book is apparently that he made the financial stuff comprehensible to the average joe.
    Yeah, the same was said of TBS, but I don't see it. The film did a better job of explaining what was happening.

slow today innit? really dead. probably my fault. http://groupnameforgrapejuice.blogsp...erilous-1.html
    this is a very good essay explaining ts eliots the wasteland

im reading a book craner recommended on here years ago
    may '68 from revolution to ethics by julian bourg.
    it's good so far but im not sure i'll necessarily read the the whole thing this time around.

looks interesting, I'm adding it to my amazon big list of books I want to read but won't

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vimothy For This Useful Post:

That is an excellent book, it's true. Some chapters better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    That is an excellent book, it's true. Some chapters better than others.
    it's journalistic without being gormless.

I read it over 10 years ago but I'm sure it is even more relevant now than it was then.

looks like it would be