version

😆

This book is TRUE. I live on an island of bankers, investment brokers and trust company lawyers and all of them are drunken, mad psychopaths with Jack Nicholson laughs and a propensity for getting into a lot of trouble at weekends.

They drink and they snort and they screw and they sail and they make loads of money and every now and again some of them disappear never to be heard of again. The women, the secretaries and admin staff come out from the UK husband-hunting but quickly find they are the rare prey of these mad psycho partiers and they too tend to disappear.

Deported or murdered? YOU decide!

The investment bankers from the Swiss VP Bank were by far the worst. Going drinking with them usually ended up with some of the guys diving naked off the side of someone's yacht and then screaming they've lost their Rolexes. Several local divers made quite a good living diving close to the party boats and recovering watches, wallets and rings on Monday mornings. If they knew who owned the property, they'd get a reward, if they didn't they sold it. I used to enjoy all that. Now I have a bookshop, but then I had a bar. I kind of wish I had a bar, that kind of bar again.

Oh, book review. I did enjoy the book and later the film. So true to life... except for the murders, I think.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
as being relentlessly violent when I don't think there are actually that many violent scenes in it... ?
there are only a couple big set piece violence scenes iirc - Paul Owen, aftermath of the second threesome

but there are a few other scenes where he casually (maybe) kills people, and he pretty consistently fantasizes about violence

if anything the frequency pushes it toward unreality, as it's hard to suspend disbelief that he could get away with that much casual, ongoing violence

whereas in the film that doesn't really became clear until the end where he's having shootouts with helicopters and so on

and there are a surprising number of passages of I guess philosophical derangement, speculation on notions of self, personhood, existence, etc

have to imagine Doestoyevski is a notable influence

IdleRich

IdleRich
On a related tip to BEE, has anyone read Donna Tartt? They were at college together and mates I think. I've never read her, but heard she's good, she's vaguely on the list. There was an article about their college days I had bookmarked for a while but never properly read. Also he's doing a podcast these days, I listened to the one about once upon a time in Hollywood, he's very earnest and he does the same personalised promo stuff that joe rogan does, which is pretty funny, but so irritating you can't listen.
I read The Secret History when it came out and really enjoyed it a lot. It's about university life, an extremely precocious Greek class who go too far in their Dionysian experiments I seem to recall. Her next one I really didn't like and I stopped there I guess.

padraig (u.s.)

I seem to remember him thinking he's seen Trump or Ivana at least once.
he's a Trump fanatic, tho even Bateman wouldn't have predicted a Trump presidency I have to think, real life stranger than fiction as always

and I think the whole point is that it's true besides the murders, i.e. why the literal truth of the murders - in the context of the text - doesn't matter

padraig (u.s.)

Probably was a bit too long, but only in the way that Catch-22 and Something Happened are too long. They are all good enough to live with that flaw.
agree 100% with this (at least about Catch-22, never read Something Happened)

they're too long in the way the Old Testament is too long, all the endless lists of genealogy etc as I mentioned

padraig (u.s.)

Isn't that all books or narratives more than (I dunno) three hundred years old?
I'd never thought about it but I guess, yeah. I remember it as a key point in the introduction to a collection of sagas that I own.

American Psycho does have the rhythm/feel of a saga, and/or a Greek tragedy, to me - albeit in either case perverted/inverted

the protagonist goes forth, does battle with monsters (both internal and external), descends into the underworld

obv it's in a modern/postmodern context so his narration is overtly unreliable/slippery. also he never returns from the underworld, and doesn't achieve or learn anything.

padraig (u.s.)

on the topic of self, personhood etc, my copy (first edition, too beatup to sell) is the famous closeup of Ellis's face with title and name superimposed in white

it's also a self-satire as he's acknowledged, of himself having slipped into a consumerist void of artifice in place of intrinsic self-worth

I guess I find that angle the least interesting

whether or not he meant to write a, and possibly the, great satire of the American empire's heart of darkness, he did

one of the things I've been doing on quarantine is slogging through Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series

the decline of the Republic starting with Gaius Marius and Sulla through to the end of the civil wars and the beginning of the Empire

definitely not a satire,nor was she much of a stylist, though she did have the gifts of directness, attention to deal, keeping the pages turning

it does a great job of reading between the lines of ancient sources to convey the power structures and contradictions at heart of the late Republic

I mentioned Juvenal above, but he was writing in the late first century AD, by which time the rot had long set in

whereas in the late Republic there was still a powerful conflict between the mos maiorum and the demands (and rewards) of empire

there's a similar feeling to the time/place of American Psycho in both in literal (proscriptions, massacres, heads mounted on the rostra) and symbolic (venality, obsession with status, hypermasculinity) senses

I could go on but idk if anyone else finds this is interesting as I do

padraig (u.s.)

My understanding is that Princess of Cleves is normally seen as the book that introduced that
no idea. I know Tristram Shandy gets mentioned as postmodern avant la lettre, but I'm no expert.

the only premodern literature I've closely read besides the Scandinavian saga stuff is more on the order of primary source history (or philosophy, if that counts)

Herodotus, Thucydides, De Bello Gallico, as well as the truly astounding True History of the Conquest of New Spain. and the Old Testament.

none of which properly features internal dialogues, only what you can draw out from how the narrator chooses to narrate events.

I'd be open to suggestions. Beowulf is definitely on my to-read list, not much else I can think of rn.

padraig (u.s.)

or that's not true, there's a bunch of other Roman stuff I want to get to, especially Sallust

it's very easy to make Rome/America comparisons, what's harder is to specify them in ways that are accurate/useful

version

ask some questions maybe? anything you/anyone is particularly interested in

it's a broad topic that I could talk about pretty much endlessly but as I say what's hard is to be actually incisive in a useful manner

I don't have any. I'm just enjoying reading your thoughts on it.

padraig (u.s.)

It came up in the Spengler thread re: Trump, iirc. Trump being a "Caesar".
I'd have to read the actual posts but just offhand I don't like that comparison at all

Caesar for one was infinitely shrewder. whatever else one thinks of him, he is universally acknowledged to have been extraordinarily capable.

he was also fundamentally self-made in a way Trump is not. certainly his background was impeccably noble - tho not wealthy by Roman elite standards - but given that his career rests largely on his own merits comparative to his peers (and a large measure of fortune).

I don't like using "Caesar" as synonymous with populist.

I don't want to whitewash Caesar, who waged the quasi-genocidal Gallic Wars largely for his own benefit (tho tbf he was furthering a time-honored tradition of Roman provincial governors; what was unusual was the scale, rather than the wars themselves)

but when dealing with Roman enemies he was, unlike Marius and Sulla, repeatedly compassionate to a fault

and unlike Trump, he did a great deal of concrete good for the Roman poor and working-class

Trump as a Caesar, unless heavily qualified, is exactly the kind of lazy Rome/US comparison I would want to avoid

IdleRich

IdleRich
no idea. I know Tristram Shandy gets mentioned as postmodern avant la lettre, but I'm no expert
Me either... and that is certainly a weird book, but I thought its (debated) post-modernity rested on the conversational style with the reader (and no doubt some other stylistic tics (or tricks)) rather than the self-awareness thing particularly.
I would like to hear more about Rome... I've read some stuff about the Ceasar, Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero era but before that it's pretty much a closed book to me. Though I guess it's not for your to completely educate me on a huge period of ancient history now I come to read that back...

padraig (u.s.)

if you want a Trump comparison, I think Pompey is much better - or better yet combination of Pompey and Crassus

the main difference is that he was an extraordinarily competent soldier

but Pompey was a powerful man's son, his family was noveau riche, he - very much unlike Caesar - completely disdained education, politics, law, etc

there's an amazing quote that I can't quite remember that goes something like "will you cease speaking of law to us men who possess swords"

Crassus meanwhile embodies the venality and obsession with personal status, and wealth as a measure of that status

he came from a noble family but his father and brothers were murdered by Marius so he started off without much (again, by Roman elite standards)

he then spent his adult life amassing a vast fortune, often in ways so unsavory and grasping that even other Roman senators and plutocrats found it distasteful

then very famously got himself and his son killed in Parthia trying to replicate Caesar's success in Gaul, to enhance his auctoritas