Page 194 of 201 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 3013

Thread: what are you reading now?

the road is the one i read. i liked the time of the wolf film but i wasnt into that book.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Sophocles and Northern Lights

Read Amis's book about Stalin again, because I'd watched 'Death of Stalin' and it was the only book on Stalin I had to hand, so I thought I'd skim through it and ended up reading it again. It's pretty good, almost reads like a blueprint for 'The Death of Stalin''s black comic take on Stalinism, with lots of stunning examples of Bolshevik cruelty and hypocrisy. Unbelievable, the suffering Russians (not to mention Ukranians, Poles, etc.) went through.

Not having read even half of what he's written, I'd still wage that PP. 206-207 are the two most embarrassing pages Amis ever had published. Although maybe he took even more of a nosedive with all his post 9/11 'horrorism' stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Sophocles and Northern Lights
    I can't decide whether this sounds more like

A) a highly recherché drug combination, or

B) What Hercules and Love Affair were called in their obscure pre-disco phase as a stoner rock band.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Tropic of Capricorn, Miller

He can write, but for every great passage about staggering around New York or his father finding God there's several tedious pages of him describing genitals.

i read Mark Fisher's weird and eerie this afternoon. i enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Tropic of Capricorn, Miller

He can write, but for every great passage about staggering around New York or his father finding God there's several tedious pages of him describing genitals.
    Not read that, but I have read Tropic Of Cancer. I imagine it's much the same, only in Paris.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I'm trying to finish a book on Lucha Libre this weekend and last week I went through the Xenofeminism Manifesto.

Sad to see Roth go today, although he was 85 and he was already retired. I've only read a few of his novels, and was never entirely satisfied by any of them, but he was unquestionably a brilliant writer, with enviable talents aplenty.

Roth is the writer that totally divides opinion between me and my wife - she loathes him with such a passion. furious with him and constantly slagging him off for writing about women whereas i do love him and have done for the better part of thirty years. i think the early stuff is funny and transgressive and aggressively political and the later stuff is someone really trying to pick apart America. so i suppose I know why people don't like him but I do.

I'm enjoying this so far, only a couple of chapters in but it's shaping up to take a deep dive into psychedelics and the research that's been done since 2006. Naturally, he felt obliged to go on a couple of trips himself.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post:

Definitely going to check out that psychedelics book, thanks.

Never really thought about Roth appealing to men more than women, perhaps because my mum is a huge fan of his.

What male writers write women well? (I'm sure one of the 100% male forum members can tell us lol)

Jenks, which ones would you recommend?

I've read:

Portnoys Complaint
    American Pastoral
    The Human Stain
    Everyman
    Patrimony

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Jenks, which ones would you recommend?

I've read:

Portnoys Complaint
    American Pastoral
    The Human Stain
    Everyman
    Patrimony
    I think the four books that make up Zuckerman Unbound are all high quality.Built around a great premise which Roth really takes to the extreme - i think people forget that he is a comic novellist.

And the loose trilogy of The Counterlife, Deception and Operation Shylock are furious and compelling reading.
    Our Gang skewers Nixon long before many others got there. Dealing with anti-semitism, Israel, middle age and relationships, infidelity.
    But i think that late flowering from Sabbath is an amazing run of novels dealing with modern America - Communist is a forensic examination of marriage and The Plot Against America feels more prescient now than ever.
    The last few slim volumes - Exit Ghost, Indignation, Everyman, Nemesis can be read in one sitting but still contain more spot on writing than most contemporary writers.
    i think the one that pissed my wife off teh most was The Dying animal which she just say as huge male wish fulfillment - old bloke/young woman/big breasts...I know Sarah Churchwell really went to town on Roth on Front Row recently.