Page 202 of 202 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202
Results 3,016 to 3,029 of 3029

Thread: what are you reading now?

Fun fact: Beckett once narrowly averted death after being stabbed by a Parisian pimp named... "Prudent".

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    im in a bit of a sorry state which often leads me to read things i cant touch under
    normal conditions, in this case, dhl's the plumed serpent. if you get in a flap about
    hearts of darkness being racist never open this book. you'd (rightly) never get away
    with it now.

(not to interupt or derail the le guin convorsation.)
    i havent got to the end yet, it's quite long, but i like this book very much. although dh lawrence obviously has a very different sensibility to ballard the set up is actually quintessentially ballardian.

the main character is in a dark, chaotic, crumbling world and decides to stay. is drawn to the darkness and the violence and the disintergration for obscure but compelling psychological reasons. on the other half of the equation is a very ballardian, powerfully built, personally magnetic, chaos-merchant. someone who understands and uses the moment and moulds it to his own ends.

How did it take me this long to get around to reading Cold Comfort Farm? Absolute genius. Beautifully written and one of those rare 'famous funny books' that's actually funny. Full of wry observations about the class system, gender, the city/country divide, plus loads of obviously made-up pretend country dialect that you can immediately grasp the gist of.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Jurassic Park

6. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Tropic of Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Tropic of Cancer
    You into it? I read Capricorn earlier in the year and found it a bit of a slog.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    You into it? I read Capricorn earlier in the year and found it a bit of a slog.
    I'm still not sure about it. First Miller I've read. Hasn't hooked me in half as much as Do Androids Dream.. did a few weeks ago, but I'm only a few chapters in. I heard Sexus is better.

Word

Whut? Where'd that post go?
    Last edited by pattycakes_; 18-10-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Gaslit by version

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

dhl's the plumed serpent. if you get in a flap about
    hearts of darkness being racist never open this book. you'd (rightly) never get away
    with it now.
    Yeah, I remember being gobsmacked by his attitudes in that book. Just amazed. Although I also remember my girlfriend at the time was living in Mexico when I read it and she said something along the lines of "Yeah that book says some terrible racist stuff about Mexicans... the worst thing is he is spot on".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Yeah, I remember being gobsmacked by his attitudes in that book. Just amazed. Although I also remember my girlfriend at the time was living in Mexico when I read it and she said something along the lines of "Yeah that book says some terrible racist stuff about Mexicans... the worst thing is he is spot on".
    did you enjoy it? i really loved it. the funny thing is i dont think i could sit through one of his set in 'rural staffordshire' or whatever. i needed the exotica.

I don't remember it that well to be honest. Thinking back to what was going on with me then it must have been more than fifteen years ago. I think I remember finding it frustrating cos the good bits were sorta weighed down by his prejudices but really I can't remember what those good bits were I'm afraid.

Sons and Lovers (set in Notts if I remember rightly) was a struggle though. I think you're right about the exotic setting bringing out something that you won't see (or won't notice) in books he set in the UK.

Their Brilliant Careers by Ryan O'Neill - ostensibly a series of biographical sketches of twentieth century Australian writers but in fact a huge po-mo joke. all the writers are fictional and each of the lives intersect creating a grand narrative of duplicity and venality. Even the index is part of the joke.
    Sounds really interesting, does it live up to the description?
    I just read Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg - really strange book presented with a fake forward and afterword as a document found in the grave of an unreliable narrator who writes about how he is haunted by a malevolent and mysterious character (or possibly just imagines that he is) and allows this guy to prevail upon his twisted religious beliefs to lead him into at least one murder - but likely several more. It's hard to figure out for sure just what's going on due to the narrator's loss of great chunks of time and his friend's ability to impersonate him. I don't know of much else like that being written in 1824.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post: