Page 203 of 203 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203
Results 3,031 to 3,035 of 3035

Thread: what are you reading now?

And been reading various of Donne's Songs and Sonnets and been routinely dazzled - e.g. 'A Fever' and the sonnet which addresses the 'sunne'.

Collected short stories of both Grace Paley and Lucia Berlin - first class stuff from two writers i knew very little about before i started out on them.

Just finished Alejandro Zambra's My Documents - Chilean writer who treads a fine line between autofiction, post modern self awareness and actually moving short stories.

Charles Baxter's Burning Down The House - he writes really well about what he likes and dislikes about fiction - his pages on Joyce's The Dead are very good and i like someone who clearly states what he doesnt want writers to do - his chapter Against Epiphanies is funny and skewers those 'and suddenly i realised...' writers.

and EEG by Daša Drndić the Croatian writer who died earlier this year - i have written about her before on here.

The Stack by Benjamin Bratton - it's mental.

I've been reading "The Fifth Elephant" by Terry Pratchett (a favourite of old) and enjoying every page, burning through it, divested of the need to analyse and process, a horrible/useful (I waver) habit I picked up in university, which probably ruinously confirmed that it is a "talent" of mine.

Anyway, having that much fun reading made me wonder why I read other books that I read, often reluctantly. Sometimes the reluctance melts almost entirely - as when I read Paradise Lost. Which is, I think, more "important" than Wuthering Heights, say, even though I actually burned through the latter when I read it.

Paul Bowles - Let It Come Down is the latest one I've pulled out of one pile or off the top of another. I actually didn't know much about this book before starting it other than that it was set in Tangiers and I also had a vague belief that it contained some undefined seedy elements. I keep getting interrupted in my reading sadly - almost in a kinda of terrible sitcom manner - but so far I can absolutely confirm that my original thoughts were one hundred percent correct. It does indeed take place in Tangiers and there are some prostitutes, smugglers and guys trying to lead tourists to watch dirty movies in the first few pages. Actually there is one other thing I knew which is that a lot of people seem to really rate the book and I will say that I'm already intrigued. I don't have any idea at all of what is going to happen but I already have this sense that all will not go well. These first few pages have brought a foreshadowing of doom... although maybe I'm just imagining things and it will go in a direction totally different from that which I'm expecting. But I think I'm right, as well as the atmosphere I believe myself to have perceived, there is the fact that the nearest thing to a main protagonist is an American who has moved to Morocco on a whim to take up a position in the office of a company run by an old school friend. Almost immediately it becomes clear that this guy is hopelessly out of his depth and for good measure he's mentally unequipped to learn to swim.