Page 204 of 209 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 3131

Thread: what are you reading now?

So glad you like it - make sure to read the index.
    Are you talking about the MILD SPOILER missing story? It was funny cos I wanted to read about that guy all the way through. I hope I haven't missed anything cos I loaned it to a friend who was intrigued by my laughing so much at the Pennington/Fearnsby story.

Reading my sixth form copy of Regeneration, complete with unenlightening annotations scrawled in black biro. I'm enjoying it, and wondering if I should read the whole trilogy. I think it's the 'contemporary' novel I've most enjoyed reading since I read another historical novel written by a female writer - Wolf Hall. Not sure if that's just happenstance.

Also taking the odd glance at Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience, which I've never really understood the magic of - but I believe it's dawning on me, slowly.

I've just finished The Man Who was Thursday; went in expecting a pretty dry, old-fashioned spy story and was pleasantly surprised to find it closer in tone to something like The Third Policeman.

Also his Father Brown books are good. Some stories are better than others of course but the good ones have some very clever mysteries with nicely satisfying solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Are you talking about the MILD SPOILER missing story? It was funny cos I wanted to read about that guy all the way through. I hope I haven't missed anything cos I loaned it to a friend who was intrigued by my laughing so much at the Pennington/Fearnsby story.
    There's the acrostic in the poem towards the end and also a specific index entry which sheds new light on an important relationship in the book. I too have lent my copy to a friend so i can't reference it specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    There's the acrostic in the poem towards the end and also a specific index entry which sheds new light on an important relationship in the book. I too have lent my copy to a friend so i can't reference it specifically.
    Oh no! What did it say?

I sort of ran out of steam with the Wake last year about a third of the way through, which is a shame, because I was enjoying it. Will try and pick it up again in the spring.

Currently alternating between Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth and, appropriately, Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur. The latter is surprisingly easy to read, but I guess the language is in the very last stage of Middle English on the cusp of becoming Early Modern. What's interesting is that if you had to classify the work by modern literary forms you'd call it a novel, in that it's a long book that tells a story and isn't in verse, but really it predates any idea of the novel by at least a century, and it isn't so much a single narrative as a series of more or less unconnected mini-adventures involving some of the same characters.

It also struck me that it's exactly the sort of book responsible for turning the protagonist mad in Don Quixote, sometimes called the very first novel - in fact I'm sure Cervantes had this precise book in mind, as much as any other.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Ive fallen in love with William Gay.

Labyrinths, Borges

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Labyrinths, Borges
    Excellent. Prepare for bogglification.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

You certainly don't need to know prynne to work those poems. They're written in a relationship with him and pound and eliot and Joyce and Burroughs etc but you don't need to have read exactly what I've read.

You could always send me an intelligent and friendly email in lieu of a 15,000 word essay

i got a copy of poems from prynne and reading it made me physically sick, nauseous. but i don't consider that a bad thing necessarily. i need to read more poetry tho, from different authors and then work my way to prynne. i need more bagage.

also have been reading vegetable empire again and some passages reverberate in my head real good, read the runes ronnie i keep hearing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post: