Page 205 of 205 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205
Results 3,061 to 3,068 of 3068

Thread: what are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    You could always send me an intelligent and friendly email in lieu of a 15,000 word essay
    nah 15000 word essay plz w/ or w/o prynne

Lost Time: Lectures on Proust in a Soviet Prison Camp - Józef Czapski
    The Beginning of Spring - Penelope Fitzgerald
    Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (modern version Michael Smith)
    All for Nothing - Walter Kempowski
    Journals - Andre Gide
    The Sleep of the Righteous - Wolfgang Hilbig

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    i got a copy of poems from prynne and reading it made me physically sick, nauseous. but i don't consider that a bad thing necessarily. i need to read more poetry tho, from different authors and then work my way to prynne. i need more bagage.

also have been reading vegetable empire again and some passages reverberate in my head real good, read the runes ronnie i keep hearing.
    That's the Prynne magic. It repels at first like a physical barrier. It's an astonishing affect. It pushes you away

a while back i read the following books in that exact order. turned out to be a great experience, with each book reinforcing the other. mumbo jumbo being the highlight. absolutely loved it. i didn't know that wide sargasso sea was a (anti-colonial) response to another book so i guess i missed some of the story. maybe one needs to read that other book first in order to better appreciate wide sargasso sea.

the black jacobins by c. l. r. james
    wide sargasso sea by jean rhys
    mumbo jumbo by ishmael reed

5. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

Luke Davis
    to fen
    1 day agoDetails
    The sentence is a linear pathway through meaning. Finnegans wake still operates with the sentence. This is looking at other ways to create meaning although there's plenty of linearity too. Radial not linear was the approach.

Luke Davis
    to fen
    0 minutes agoDetails
    Take

"Norweiga wool with ambien synth setting luxe desert"

There's the hint of Norwegian wood and hence boomer spending purses but mostly I think of a washing machine settings. Wool wash. Synthetic fabrics. Then there's ambient synths advertising music. The setting could be a synth preset (or washing machine) or could be the setting(luxe desert) for something else. Luxe desert could be a lipstick colour or any other commercial colour label. Also sexy sand dunes in perfume ads. The seraglio. Mysteries of the east. Big sexy eyes framed with fabric sales routine etc. Also a wider sense of cultural and geographic settings as being points on a dial, shading into one in infinitely fine gradations, which is one of the themes of the poem.

Hence
    Explode the sentence

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

a while back i read the following books in that exact order. turned out to be a great experience, with each book reinforcing the other. mumbo jumbo being the highlight. absolutely loved it. i didn't know that wide sargasso sea was a (anti-colonial) response to another book so i guess i missed some of the story. maybe one needs to read that other book first in order to better appreciate wide sargasso sea.

the black jacobins by c. l. r. james
    wide sargasso sea by jean rhys
    mumbo jumbo by ishmael reed
    It's Jane Eyre isn't it?
    Read the second two but nothing by CLR James which now I think about it is a shame cos I used to walk past the CLR James library every day when I lived in London.

I'm writing craners essay for him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Listening to the audio book of John Taylor Gatto's - The Underground History of American Education

A book which tells the previously untold story of schooling as not an altruistic enterprise of enlightened men to benefit their fellow man, but an effort by rich industrialist and eugenicists to preserve their power and influence by "Dumbing Down" their fellow man to the point at which he would willing accept a life of gloomy servitude in their factories. Gatto spent 9 years writing this book, after discovering primary sources, such as minutes of the industrialists' meetings, often painted a very different picture from that which later propaganda would have people believe.

Considering its huge size, the book is very readable. It is broken into hundreds of small sections, which mix historical record, interpretation and Gatto's personal experience to paint a compelling picture quite different from the traditional romantic image painted by the powers that be. In spite of selling over 500,000 copies based only on word of mouth recommendation (no advertising), its theme is so confronting that it has been largely ignored by the controlled media. Nevertheless, its reception has been very warm online, and it has been called a "superhuman effort of scholarship"

Have to say I'm loving every moment. It's focus is on America but the principles apply to pretty much the whole world.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post: