Page 206 of 223 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3342

Thread: what are you reading now?

I remember craner posted his favourite bit of Joyce and it was like
    Her scrumptious big bouncy booby breasties bobbing up and down. Lovely jubbly big big boobies

2. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Lolol

He kissed the plump mellow yellow smellow melons of her rump, on each plump melonous hemisphere, in their mellow yellow furrow, with obscure prolonged provocative melonsmellonous osculation.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Her scrumptious rumptious rump flumped flappily

Etc.

That was it! I remembered it was about melons. Typical Craner. It's from Uylesses

More Ulysses this morning (I'll start a separate thread on it if I manage to read much more). Brilliant description of a cat, equal to the description of the dog. Very funny depiction of Bloom enjoying a shit in the outhouse. A brilliant modulation of thought as Bloom regards the sea, 'the grey sunken cunt of the world' and panics, attempting to ward off evil thoughts. The adroit melding of his fear of Molly's adultery and his daughter's burgeoning sexuality.

I wondered what an inner monologue would sound like now, in the age of smartphones, podcasts, Netflix, etc. Is there any room left for thought? I think I have too much input, there is no vacuum left for the imagination to fill.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Have you read The Odyssey? I've been meaning to read Ulysses for years, but keep telling myself I'll read The Odyssey first.
    I read quite a lot of it, reading along with Ian McKellen's performance of Robert Fagles translation. (This was off the back of the success of reading Paradise Lost along with Anton Lesser's performance.)

It's hard to say whether due to Fagles's translation, McKellen's performance or the Odyssey itself - but I didn't much care for it. The best bits were those which most people are probably familiar with from adaptations - the Cyclops, the Sirens, etc.

A lot of the interest in it comes from how alien it is to modern sensibilities - there's none of the psychological interiority we expect, and it's full of these (to our mind) primitive religious rituals.

I suspect that McKellen put me off it a bit - he's a great actor but his narration really got on my tits after a while. Anton Lesser reading Paradise Lost was A1 though. Of course, Milton is an order of magnitude more of a poet than Fagles...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

The odyasey is in no way crucial to reading uylesses. Not one tiny little bit.

Its just used as a structuring principle really and besides you know the outline of the story

Do you own a copy of uylesses? Can you pick it up and read the opening chapter now?

Ok let's read it the opening chapter right this instant. I can't work its raining. I have read the odyssey but it won't help me one little bit I promise. There's no prizes for finishing first so don't rush. I'll see you in a bit then corpse can explain it to us

Lets call it the first 20 pages. Up to the seal and the word 'usurper'

Yeah not having read the Odyssey isn't a barrier, or at least not any more than not having read the complete works of Aristotle/Thomas Aquinas, et al, not knowing french or german or italian or latin, not having a kaleidoscopic knowledge of Dublin circa 1900...

The bit up to "usurper" is easy going, though, it's 'Proteus' where things become two-thirds incomprehensible, then you're back to comprehensibility with Bloom, which is where I'm at ATM.

We're just luring the lad in corpse not trying to show him how 'difficult' it is

He reads Pynchon for breakfast, I reckon he'll be lured in more by difficulty

Shush! He's reading. You can talk to him again once he's finished