Page 208 of 223 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3342

Thread: what are you reading now?

I can't remember this proteus bit. How does it start?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I can't remember this proteus bit. How does it start?
    Ineluctable modality of the visible.

I don't think any copy does.

Yeah joyces thing of how the sections correlate to episodes in the odyssesy

Why didnt pynchon explain in the text that Tyrone Slothrop is an anagram of sloth and entropy or whatever you said it was? Cos he was being a smartarse and didn't want to spell it out. It spoils the game

On a Ulysses related note, i just read this
    https://www.henninghamfamilypress.co...-chris-mccabe/

you need to know your Joyce, but if you do it's very enjoyable.

Anybody read any Murnane? i have just started to get into him - I would have thought he might appeal to a few on here. https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ralian-letters

Also reading Murmur by Will Eaves - a fictionalised account of Turing's life which i'm really enjoying http://www.cbeditions.com/eaves3.html

Been reading lots of short story collections - Wendy Erskine, Samanta Schweblin, Grace Paley.

Turns out, as part of my new job Im going to be attending all of the Joyce summer school events this year. Just met with the country's leading Joycean academic.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Reading "Hades" today (the funeral attended by Bloom and Stephen's father). Bloom's thoughts in the graveyard - ' Who passed away. Who departed this life. As if they did it of their own accord. Got the shove, all of them'. These are soliloquies, spoken by the characters to themselves, as in Shakespeare. (Bloom the materialist reminds me of Falstaff, without the cravenness. Stephen obviously like Hamlet, the self-torturing intellectual.)

Course it's just occurred that Bloom is also the gravedigger in 'Hamlet' in this scene.

As a matter of fact this has reminded me that Hades is a good bit in The Odyssey.

I'm sad because these stream of consciousness bits are so fantastic and I know pretty soon the books going to be swamped in parody. I say pretty soon, it might be a few hundred pages yet. It's one of those obvious things about Ulysses that I've always read but it is amazing how he made an epic out of one day in the life of two men and a woman. (And a city, and a universe.)

Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Honestly, what us up with the image attachment thingumy on this forum?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I finished Fanon's Black Skin White Masks this month. It's something I've been chipping away at and turned out to be v. stimulating and appreciable.

I'm now gonna piss that all away with reading a self-help book from a pro-wrestler. Because I'm all about balance.