luka

one of the greatest openings of any book ever. even if you just read the start its worth while

version

I've (finally) been finishing up The Odyssey: the bits with Proteus, the cyclops and Circe are easily the best thus far. They're just about to head into the underworld to meet Teiresias.

IdleRich

IdleRich
With perfect timing Portuguese telly seems to be showing all the Harry Potter films, one per day this week. One was kinda on in the background today.
I know they refer to the main baddie as "you-know-who" which tends to be an anti-semitic code but I'm not sure it's intended here....

There's the whole thing about her making the bankers goblins too...
But that's what you're getting at with this right?

version

Yeah. She's regularly accused of antisemitism for it. There's also the stuff about her having an Asian character called "Cho Chang".

luka

well theyre all gunning for her cos shes crossed the trans crowd and that means instant death these days

version

I get the impression the general dislike of her due to her comments on the trans community have prompted a bunch of people to read everything that seems a little off in her work as malicious.

version

I wonder how much input she had in the films. I'm not familiar enough with the books to know what did and didn't come from her. It definitely looks dodgy though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sorry I meant to say that yeah the bankers are obviously dodgy. Not the first film that has bankers that look like that though I understand.

luka

i keep saying thats the basis for the alt rights revivial of 19th century race science. RPGs.