Page 211 of 223 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3334

Thread: what are you reading now?

Exodus, King James version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Have you read The Golden Bough?
    i had the opportunity to buy it recently on this visit... im a fool. it was an abridged version though, but a new one. i bought scholem's 'origin of the kabbalah', jodorowsky + costa's 'way of the tarot' and a marseilles pack instead.
    maybe soon
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

still reading paul gilroy against race: imagining political culture beyond the colour line. no way to summarise it but his main contention is that fascism was the main *cultural* revolution of the 20th century and this inadvertently, willingly or unwillingly intersected with the fall of black culture from the godly to the profane. He's not arguing that hip hop is fascist though, absolutely not.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DLaurent View Post
    James Elroy American Tabloid is so dense. About as dense as I rarely feel like reading. Probably take me a whole year as 50 pages has taken me two weeks. Great stuff when you're in the mood though.
    This is such a good book. Sequel is a bit iffy but man, must have read Tabloid five times! Agree about the density of language though, took me about 150 pages to get into the swing of it.

Would like to offer more of an opinion but if you're not finished I won't.

Under Pressure, collection of short stories by Bosnian writer Faruk Šehić - Until the outbreak of war in 1992, he studied veterinary medicine in Zagreb. However, the then 22-year-old voluntarily joined the army of Bosnia and Herzegovina, in which he led a unit of 130 men.

Anne Serre’s The Governesses - an uncanny and unsettling story about three governesses who look after some boys in a gated chateau in an unnamed and dreamlike place

I am half way through reading all of Penelope Fitzgerald's novels - each one a slice of perfection - The Beginning of Spring is a great story of Russia just before the revolution takes hold.

Animalia - Jean-Baptiste Del Amo - like one of those John Berger 'pastoral' novels (Pig Earth, for example) - its focus is on the life of a farm and and its inhabitants over a century - grim and pitiless and miserable.

Anne Serre’s The Governesses - an uncanny and unsettling story about three governesses who look after some boys in a gated chateau in an unnamed and dreamlike place
    Impossible not to think of Turn of The Screw

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Impossible not to think of Turn of The Screw
    Yeah but weirder and french. The first few paragraphs of this do a good job of conveying its very odd approach - it keeps you on your toes and it's very short but exceptionally condensed. Les fugitives, the publisher, have been knocking out very high quality french stuff in translation for a few years - the last one i read was Now Now Louison which was the fictionalised monologue of Louis Bourgeoise - a high wire act that was pulled off very well indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    King James version.
    My full title.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Numbers, King James version.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    King James version.
    My full title.
    Quoted before it vanishes.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

I read:

Deuteronomy
    Joshua

Reading:

Judges

I also just spent £56 in the Cardiff Oxfam bookshop. They had loads of absolutely pristine old Penguin Classics, so I hoovered up everything I didn't already own, about 16 books in total. It was weird, like somebody died without reading anything on their bookshelf. I almost don't want to read them myself, it seems a shame to damage the spines.

£56, though

I often spend £50-100 in second hand bookshops. You'll never read them but they look good in the house. It's nicel to own them. Enjoying the bible?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Enjoying the bible?
    Yeah. You just have to skip all the rules and genealogies, I'm not in a Yeshiva.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

I was struggling with American Tabloid - Ellroy. It goes fully in short sentence mode and is hard work. The Black Dahlia was easier.

A few things I've read recently and enjoyed to varying degrees.

Pio Baroja - The Tree of Knowledge -Fan of Baroja. The stuff in English anyway. He's hilarious and the philosophy stands up because of it. All the grotesques and situational comedy he uses.
    Jim Thompson - Bad Boy -Digital copy. The kind of book I wish I owned simply because of the pulp cover. Like the Jamie Principle song goes "I'm just a bad boy". Decent autobiography.
    William Irish - Marihuana -Nothing too philosophical. Just good hardboiled writing.
    Alain Robbe-Grillet - Project For a Revolution in New York -Dark and fragmented. Love it.

Just got A Feast of Snakes - Harry Crews - Bracing myself as OD'd on American Literature recently. Ellroy is enough. Gifford is more than enough.