version

A nice touch in the Fellowship of the Ring film was when they were all in the snow on the mountain, Legolas was able to walk on the surface of it whilst the rest were slogging through due to how light he was. I imagine it's in the books, but it's cool they added little details like that in.

f9dbd4552949e08a4d19b001f4457be2.jpg

entertainment

Hmm, well Sauroman chops down the woods to make that industrial war camp so he's obviously the capitalist. And then he digs up those urukhais.

entertainment

That ties in with my thing, the elves are living disembodied lives. They have no carnal feeling, no flesh. They weigh nothing because they are empty.

luka

theyre on the verge of exiting the world for good and sailing off for the western lands or whatever so thats definitely true

version

I like the bit where the Uruk leader goes LOOKS LIKE MEAT'S BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS! after he beheads the orc then they all dive on the body and intestines go flying everywhere.

version

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've also no idea, but a lot of people on Twitter the other night took issue with it.
I remember seeing people going nuts about it a few years ago. Some views go very far in the direction of "stay in your lane", i.e. only write about what you, personally, know (if you're white, straight etc.) but if you follow that to its logical conclusion then white authors would only ever write books with 100% white characters in them, which is surely racist too if they're meant to be set in the modern world.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the elves use tricky effeminate magic not the strength of their arm
I can see why the films might give this impression, what with all the white robes, cut-glass vowels and Enya, but in the books they're totally fucking hard. Much tougher than humans.

version

I remember seeing people going nuts about it a few years ago. Some views go very far in the direction of "stay in your lane", i.e. only write about what you, personally, know (if you're white, straight etc.) but if you follow that to its logical conclusion then white authors would only ever write books with 100% white characters in them, which is surely racist too if they're meant to be set in the modern world.

I guess the argument is that people should write about what they know, but more people who aren't white should be published in the first place so we read more of what those people know.

luka

i suppose im talking aboiut the popular conception of elves and how they are understood now. mincing. david bowie looking.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I guess the argument is that people should write about what they know, but more people who aren't white should be published in the first place so we read more of what those people know.
Totally, but that's not JKR's own fault, as such, and a lot of this anger is being directed not at the publishing industry, or at racism-at-large, but at her, personally.

version

I think the broader point about "stay in your lane" is self-defeating as some people feel novels by straight, white men only deal with straight, white men and that that's a bad thing, but telling them to stay in their lane would be telling them to keep writing exactly those novels.