catalog

I've heard he's really good from a few people, I think Lord Jim was highly regarded for years but it's fallen off. Iain sinclair is a fan, plus there's the big section on him in sebalds rings of saturn (if you liked Hod, it might be worth you checking that out)

version

(Based on reading it a few years ago) I really liked HoD up until he got to the end of the river and met Kurtz. It culminates in an anticlimax, just as Apocalypse Now did.

Surely it has to end that way? He is, after all, just a man.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I enjoyed Nostromo and Lord Jim... but whoever it was said "why we talking about JK Rowling?" - it was a pretty good questions cos has anyone here actually read her? And is anyone reading her now?

luka

we're doing culture war week on dissensus and she is a major figure in the culture wars so thats why she came up despite no one here having ever read her.

version

Corpsey's definitely read at least one Harry Potter book and there's no way he hasn't seen at least half of the films.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A few years ago I went to see something else at the cinema and it was sold out so we watched the first film... then I came home and read the book. I haven't read any further but (as I said) the films have been on the last few days here and I've watched two of them (well they've been on anyway) and I enjoyed them.

luka

everyone i know whos read the books and watched the films says theyre absolutely brilliant. i read a phillip pullman the other day and that was awful.

version

The first four films are great, I didn't like the fifth and I haven't seen the others. I can't remember the books at all.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Seen all the HP films multiple times. Only read maybe four of the books but listened to the audiobooks dozens of times.

It's like a comfort blanket. When I had a mental breakdown a few years ago all I could do for a week or so was lie in bed watching Harry potter films. (And no I wasn't wanking, except for the hagrid scenes.)