Page 215 of 216 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216 LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 3239

Thread: what are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    I think it would have been better if he got into a few more scrapes, met some people, did some blow, went to a rave etc.
    Haha, someone PLEASE write a whole W. G. Sebald/Irvine Welsh mash-up novel, that would be great.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I'm trying.

It has got quite a druggy feel in places which is really good. There's a bit where he comes to a field and it's really radiantly coloured so he's spellbound and is trundling around it and then he realises he's been walking for hours and comes back to the exact same spot and figures out he's totally lost and starts panicking. That bit is good.

There's a few places where he gets lost come to think about it, he goes into a maze in one of the grand houses and gets stuck a bit there. I like all the history of the halls, how they were established by the new low born entrepreneurial class and they bought parcels of land then cleared them so they had a good vista. The tech overlords of the day I suppose. And then had massive hunting parties to earn blue blood patronage.

Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Gonna hold off watching the film by grant few I've heard it's proper shit

I liked the bit when he went to a stately home that used to be very glamorous and is now falling apart, whereas the grounds - the trees outside - have become more and more lush and beautiful.

The main thing I really remember from Rings of Saturn now is the idea of combustion/destruction being integral to existence. He's talking about furnaces and so on, I suppose there's the spectre of Auschwitz hovering silently over it all.

How's the history book?

Slow progress on that, as I was on the last of my holidays from Friday to Monday - I managed to 'do' the Sumerians, Bablyonians and Ancient Egyptians.

Of interest to me was this:

"For the ancient Egyptian, the name was the thing; the real object we separate from its designation was identical with it... The Egyptians lived in symbolism as fishes do in water, taking it for granted, and we have to break through the assumptions of a profoundly unsymbolic culture to understand them... the ancient Egyptians show a remarkably uniform tendency to seek through religion a way of penetrating the variety of the flow of ordinary experiences so as to reach a changeless world most easily understood through the life of the dead lived there. Perhaps the pulse of the Nile is to be detected here, too; each year it swept away and made new, but its cycle was ever recurring, changeless, the embodiment of a cosmic rhythm."

what book is that corpy?

Only 1000 pages to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Slow progress on that, as I was on the last of my holidays from Friday to Monday - I managed to 'do' the Sumerians, Bablyonians and Ancient Egyptians.

Of interest to me was this:

"For the ancient Egyptian, the name was the thing; the real object we separate from its designation was identical with it... The Egyptians lived in symbolism as fishes do in water, taking it for granted, and we have to break through the assumptions of a profoundly unsymbolic culture to understand them... the ancient Egyptians show a remarkably uniform tendency to seek through religion a way of penetrating the variety of the flow of ordinary experiences so as to reach a changeless world most easily understood through the life of the dead lived there. Perhaps the pulse of the Nile is to be detected here, too; each year it swept away and made new, but its cycle was ever recurring, changeless, the embodiment of a cosmic rhythm."
    Landscape and religion - the Sumerians, subject to endless disastrous floods (the Epic of Gilgamesh providing the prototype for Noah's Ark - and Adam & Eve, apparently), saw the Gods as indifferent to human suffering, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Only 1000 pages to go!
    Do you know your history, cranes?

And if not, are you ashamed as I am?

It's patchy. I'm alright with some bits. And, yes, I'm ashamed of it, but I'm ashamed about a lot of things.

It's not a competition, you two!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

The devastation wrought by middle class upbringings. No peace. No mercy.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: