version

Anyone else who's read The Odyssey, did you find any of it really funny and if so, do you think it was intended as such?

version

The bit with the cyclops where they escape and Odysseus can't help basically giving him the finger over and over as he runs away whilst his men are like "fuck sake, you're going to get us killed" cracked me up.

version

Also when they leave Circe's palace he casually mentions they didn't all leave because one of his men fell asleep on the roof then fell off, broke his neck and died.

version

When they blind the cyclops and the others hear him and come to see what's going they all sound like Arnold the elephant from Charlie Chalk too. He's screaming in pain and they're like "I say, why are you disturbing this beautiful evening with your horrible screaming?".

catalog

Iceberg Slim.

Seems odd to me that there's no mention of him on dissensus. deserves his own thread, he's such a unusual writer. i read a few of his books (pimp and trick baby) as a teenager, cos of the irvine welsh/rebel inc reccomendation, but am now re-reading 'the naked soul' which is a collection of shorter essays/stories. very good. can't think of anything quite like it. very raw and direct style, writing from experience, some interesting things to say on race and sex.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I read Pimp... was pretty good. I didn't really know there was a Welsh connection although he wrote some kind of introduction or something to the copy of Pimp I read so I guess there is.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Anyone else who's read The Odyssey, did you find any of it really funny
I've never read The Odyssey (I should) but I've found other writings from Antiquity to be sometimes bizarre, if not funny per se

The Republic, for example, is full of weird bullshit

sometimes things like that are down to translation, but sometimes it's just dealing with an extremely different worldview I think

it's an issue any time you're reading primary documents from another era

catalog

Anyone read vanity fair? Friend reccd it. I want something with some sweep for next read. Dickens doesnt feel right. Bleak house sounds bitty. I kinda wanna go for war and peace, but i dunno if that might be a bit much. I definitely want something more than 100 years old, i know that.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've read The Odyssey, Vanity Fair, Don Quixote, Tristram Shandy and Tom Jones - but not Gargantua and Pantagruel - what's the question?
I do have that latter on my shelf and I browsed the intro or first few pages from the author which stuck with me, pretty ribald stuff with Rabelais (wasn't he a monk?) claiming that some pregnancies can last ten or eleven months, so, if anyone knows any recently widowed women "worth the riding" then send them his way so he nail 'em and then claim any issue were fathered by the husband.