luka

Anyone read vanity fair? Friend reccd it. I want something with some sweep for next read. Dickens doesnt feel right. Bleak house sounds bitty. I kinda wanna go for war and peace, but i dunno if that might be a bit much. I definitely want something more than 100 years old, i know that.

Craner says read some Balzac.

jenks

thread death
I'd agree with Craner - Balzac's Lost Illusions has that grand sweep as does Vanity Fair - great heroine (kind of) in there as well - both books about social climbing.
I'd also make a plea for Bleak House which i would never describe as 'bitty' - lots of plates being spun but as teh narrative unfolds, they all part of the same story eventually. Also spontaneous human combustion.

catalog

i dunno, maybe i will go for bleak house after all. going for balzac would be a real gamble, i know nothing about him.

catalog

well i'll have a think and let you know what i decide on. to a certain extent depends what i can get my hands on atm, need a physical book for a big novel, can't be doing with phone

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Heresy around these parts but if you get a kindle you can download the complete works of Thackeray for about 99p and you don't have to lug a fat book around.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
For the Good Times by David Keenan (crossover from the klf thread). My cousin has been on about this for months, nagging and nagging, so I took a bite. Jesus it’s bleak. Searingly so. You almost forget this all happened like it was y’day. Finished this week, solid piece of work juggling surrealism, slang and dialect, ultra violence, twists, the H Blocks and Bobby Sands, the occult, friendship and betrayal, politics, chanting, trauma and loads more. I loved the ending, no spoilers. The Europa is indeed a mighty fortress.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I enjoyed Vanity Fair a lot... like Jenks says, big kinda sweep to it and you have one of the most famous anti-heroines. I'd suggest though that Middlemarch might be a better choice than any on that list. Plus you can add it your "books read by women" list.

luka

i missed the 'dont you read any books by women' controversey but woops wrote to me saying it was like being accused of being a rapist and Craner was not too impressed either.

catalog

reading women = more about broadening my perspective rather than virtue signallin, but ofc everythings political now innit

luka

theres something about that accusation that really gets peoples hackles up. mine too. brings out our gamergate side. leave Lara Croft's tits the way they are we dont care if theyre not realistic. let me read what i want

luka

reading women = more about broadening my perspective rather than virtue signallin, but ofc everythings political now innit

even this is a bit much though isnt it. like taking a dose of cod liver oil cos its good for you