luka

when i read a book by a woman im reading it cos i liked the sound of it. i dont want to broaden my perspective. im not doing it cos its good for me.

catalog

i suppose you could take it that way, im more like, i read chris kraus and it was quite a different vibe to a lot of other stuff ive read, in feel, so i want more of that. but i did also read jane eyre and though tit was for kids

catalog

im well aware that just cos a woman writes a book does not make it automatically worthy of reading, but you also cant help having a joke on it cos of the times we live in where everything becomes a statement

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nightwood is a strange one... aren't there two versions though? Which did you read? I've never really known which version I read cos I only found out years later about this (same goes for The Magus).

catalog

one of the issues about internet chat, sometimes you need to see my face as im saying these things, i need to see yours

luka

these are the kind of your uncle on facebook seditious thoughts you start having when you reach 40

luka

Nightwood is a strange one... aren't there two versions though? Which did you read? I've never really known which version I read cos I only found out years later about this (same goes for The Magus).

im not sure. i only read a couple of pages. i'll have a quick look

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah maybe it was just censored and then released again uncensored...

Because of concerns about censorship, Eliot edited Nightwood to soften some language relating to sexuality and religion. An edition restoring these changes, edited by Cheryl J. Plumb, was published by Dalkey Archive Press in 1995

Hmmmm

Dylan Thomas described Nightwood as "one of the three great prose books ever written by a woman", while William S. Burroughs called it "one of the great books of the twentieth century".

Burroughs not damming it with faint praise the way that Thomas did.

luka

'why is it that whenever i hear music i think im a bride?'
'neurasthenia' said felix
he shook his head. 'no, im not neurasthenic, i havent that much respect for people-the basis, by the way, of all neurasthenia'

IdleRich

IdleRich
I read it so long ago I really can't comment. It's funny that, you read these things but can you really say that you have read them if you can't remember them. I think at that time I had been reading quite a lot of Burroughs and that always came up (along with Denton Welch - A Voice Through A Cloud) as something that he often mentioned as an influence.
I read both of the above books but I couldn't really understand the link to Burroughs - maybe I would if I read them again now a bit older and hopefully wiser. I have another book by Denton Welch on my shelf now to get round to, perhaps that will shed some light.
One thing about Nightwood, it's a tiny book, must be 150 pages at most, I'd say you haven't exactly got a lot to lose by trying it.

catalog

think i looked up denton welch, from same burroughs thing, but couldnt get past a fe wpages. its like bukowski with fante, to a certain extent these authors that get rolled out, you gotta wonder if its cos there was a desert of what was available. opposite problem now, we are in a swamp