Page 225 of 226 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226 LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 3376

Thread: what are you reading now?

second read through of steve hanley's book the big midweek also read susan sontag's essay on artaud

Two very good non-fiction:
    Julian Barnes' latest about the end of the nineteenth century in France - full of stuff about art, literature, culture, politics - total anathema to many dissensians i am sure as it is written in clear prose and makes no reference to arcana in any shape or shade.

Axiomatic by Maria Tumarkin which looks at different types of trauma using various case studies - looking at well worn cliches about the past affecting the present.

https://sydneyreviewofbooks.com/axio...markin-review/

I bumped into the illustrious jenks the other day he was having a lads days out getting lagered up with his mate and then going to browse the shelves at London review of books followed by a trip to an exhibition at the British museum.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

You'd Think I was making that up but I'm honestly not. He had the day off cos of half term.

To be fair we went to the Whitechapel Art Gallery with such sick hangovers I almost knocked over an exhibit.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

I actually enjoyed that. It didn't get in the way of my refined aesthete's perceptions.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It probably helped. Paolozzi's patterns cohering through the throbbing blur.

Jim suffering way more than us cheered us both up immeasurably.

I'm reading a book that I started ages ago and then lost - but found again on my shelf the other day. It's called Night Train to Lisbon and I picked it up in a charity shop (I think) for obvious reasons. Seems to be about an unworldly professor of language in Switzerland who has a leap of faith type moment and drops everything to go to Lisbon. It's got a load of stuff pondering about language and how words make things happen as if by magic plus attempts at poetry at times... but the jury is still out really. We'll see.

Oh turns out that there is film with Jeremy Irons too... this keeps happening.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    You'd Think I was making that up but I'm honestly not. He had the day off cos of half term.
    Itís all true and I was carrying a tote bag full of books.
    My life is a cliche.

The Ways That Never Parted: Jews and Christians in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages
    fascinating shit. linking it to other interests. weird to read this longer collection w stuff about ya'aqov frank and his Crypto-Christian Anti-Intellectual Sensualist Cult in between. entertaining possibilities for new concepts of 'biblically-based spiritualities' (this term feels inadequate, but how the scholars collected here often phrase it, as opposed to hegemonic/blanket 'judaism' or 'christianity')
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    gabber terrorism is fun but not all the time, sometimes you gotta be sophisticated or sulky for the ladies.
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

Not a scholar here, but 'Abrahamic' refers to Judaism and all the religions that sprang from it, ie. Christianity, Islam and the more minor ones like Druze and Rastafari.

'Judeo-Christian' refers to just those two traditions collectively.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

anyone read any 'new juche'? https://amphetaminesulphate.bigcarte...uct/stupidbaby

very good writing, bit grubby/questionable maybe. very reminescent of genet, but some other things as well.

Sarah Perry's Melmoth.