saw the light
Erat Hora

"Thank you, whatever comes." And then she turned
And, as the ray of sun on hanging flowers
Fades when the wind hath lifted them aside,
Went swiftly from me. Nay, whatever comes
One hour was sunlit and the most high gods
May not make boast of any better thing
Than to have watched that hour as it passed.

luka

aw thanks boys, one more thing jenks. i want to go on a little day trip to your part of the world. i was thinking southend but my mum is a big fan of leigh-on-sea, a place i've never been to. what do you reccomend? maybe theres other stops on that line that beat both of them and i should go there instead.

jenks

thread death
luka, do you wanna mail me re leigh (i think it's quite simple to do via user cp or something,) as much as i want to advertise the wonders of estuary life i think the others might get a little bored - what do you want - amusements/culture/beach walks?
randy watson also seems to be someone else from dowm here maybe he'd want to chip in (see sports strand)

luka

i'll send a private message cos you asked not to let people send you emails.

just look for the private message

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
...just got a copy of "Fortress of Solitude"(Frantzen?)from,um,7-Eleven actually...needed some bus/tube reading, and wanted to see if it lives up to the expectations... anyway,i love those cheap paperbacks you can just buy for next to nothing,and get a good read AND maybe 2-3 books for the price of one hardback copy...
yeah,that's great for a permanently skint li'l slacker like me... :cool:
-i've kind of regressed into easily digested "entertainment" reading,rather than something cuolturally "solid",('cause the uni courses are so dense and demanding,it is heaven to "dumb down"for a minute),but sometimes you get both...! :)

craner

Beast of Burden
I recommend you get the New Directions Complete Cantos: what a beautiful book!

Last edited:

mind_philip

saw the light
oliver craner said:
I recommend you get the New Directions Complete Cantos: what a beautiful book!

That is absolutely true. The one good thing that came from me working for Waterstone's was I realised you could import this book and it was still cheaper than the Faber version. And it is fucking beautiful. A big shiny black and white brick of a book...

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm reading The Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom. It's knocked me sideways and kicked my teeth in and tickled me under the chin. You should all read it. You need to argue against it. (Rather than sophistry or silence.)

luka

why waste time worrying about what other idiots think? do your own thing. they're not important. just cos they write big books full of big words, just cos they're bloated with self-importance, it doesn't mean you have to pay attention, its' one of the big fallacies, fuck 'em, ignore them, arguing just encourages them, they thrive off it.

luka

i like oliver by the way, it's alright
my rudeness is couched in an underlying respect and affection

xx

luka

all i'm saying is, you can't spend your whole life in reacting to other people, how you ever going to get anything done? it's a trap. it's a waste of time and a waste of energy.