luka

actually i think pound laid down good rules in the imagism manifesto thing. it works for prose too i think. it will be on interent somewhere i will try and look.

woops

is not like other people
I'll do it

'These principles are not new; they have fallen into desuetude. They are the essentials of all great poetry, indeed of all great literature.'

'1. To use the language of common speech, but to employ always the exact word, not the nearly-exact, nor the merely decorative word.

2. To create new rhythms -as the expression of new moods -- and not to copy old rhythms, which merely echo old moods. We do not insist upon "free-verse" as the only method of writing poetry. We fight for it as for a principle of liberty. We believe that the individuality of a poet may often be better expressed in free-verse than in conventional forms. In poetry a new cadence means a new idea.

3. To allow absolute freedom in the choice of subject. It is not good art to write badly of aeroplanes and automobiles, nor is it necessarily bad art to write well about the past. We believe passionately in the artistic value of modem life, but we wish to point out that there is nothing so uninspiring nor so old-fashioned as an aeroplane of the year 19 11.

4. To present an image (hence the name: "Imagist"). We are not a school of painters, but we believe that poetry should render particulars exactly and not deal in vague generalities, however magnificent and sonorous. It is for this reason that we oppose the cosmic poet, who seems to us to shirk the real difficulties of his art.

5. To produce poetry that is hard and clear, never blurred nor indefinite.

6. Finally, most of us believe that concentration is of the very essence of poetry.'

Is that why your avatar looks like he's concentrating so hard Luka?

Last edited:

luka

hes opening the portal into the the Nether Regions.
but thank you. i got distracted. i think those are good rules.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
The Tenant - Roland Topor...brilliant portrayal of paranoia & madness at the hands of neighbours (everybody, especially the tenant, needs good neighbours) - as you've probably seen the film, you'll know the story...and the book is just as good, probably better, but in, you know, words. Did he imagine everything? Recommended.

STN

sou'wester
yeah, the Tenant is great, properly unnerving - do you have the Black Spring edition with the silver cover? Roland Topor appears in Herzog's Nosferatu, briefly.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Yes, that one, which I presume is suppose to mirror (ha-ha) the tenant's mirror...or maybe not. If so, it should have been plain. I don't know much about Topor, but some of his art is good.

STN

sou'wester
I used to work for that company - I asked my boss if he didn't think the image gave away the ending and he said 'well, yes, but you know, I just had to'.

Benny Bunter

after the railing pkd got on here I started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. prefer Blade Runner.

after 'scanner darkly' this is the best pkd I've read. I didn't really set out to pan him, I do like him despite the wretched prose. After reading a biography of and seeing a doc a while ago I came to the conclusion that his real life is actually more interesting than many of his books. Must get round to reading VALIS then i suppose.

Almost finished Crash right now, and 'enjoying' it a lot even if it is quite repetitive. I know virtually nothing about their relationship to each other, but I'm guessing Burroughs must have been a big influence on this book, right? Looking forward to watching the cronenburg film now, i thought he did a quite passable adapation of Naked Lunch as it happens.

D

droid

after the railing pkd got on here I started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. prefer Blade Runner.

lol. Yeah, in the book decker is a bumbling cop pining for a llama (or something). The best bit is the flying car sequence at the beginning where he has to fend off a swarm of flying advertisements.

His prose gets markedly better around the time of 'a scanner darkly' and is of reasonably high quality during the autobiographical phase.

luka

its pulp-who reads it for the prose. that like lsitening to grimetapes downloads for the audio quality.

D

droid

It becomes problematic when the prose makes the story unreadable. Ubik for example.

D

droid

They are completely different in terms of writing style though. One is engaging and detailed, the other cardboard and retarded.

D

droid

His worst book though is 'maze of death'. Just appalling. Like watching paint dry. I dont know how I finished it.