Page 74 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 2627

Thread: what are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    spain is a dump. does that help? i wouldnt dream is living in that land of the rats tail.
    Why do you say that? Did you get dragged on holiday to Benidorm as a child or something?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    land of the rats tail.
    I had a great time in Barcelona a while ago and have been sailing around Mallorca a few times, which was lovely, but yeah, Spain does seem to be a world leader in terrible hair.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

If you're put off by the bad hair than why the fuck are you living in Australia?

"If you're put off by the bad hair than why the fuck are you living in Australia?"
    One nil to Benny I'd say.

spain is great, and i actually live here, as opposed to having formed my opinion through disappointing trips to la rambla and parc guell.

weather's horrible today tho.

benny i'll send you a PM, this thread's waaay off topic (funny though)

wicked. cheers faustus

slaughterhouse 5 - kurt vonnegut

enjoying it so far, 'bout halfway. nice use of nonlinear narrative. will have to seek out more by this guy when i'm finished.

"so it goes"

hahah yeah he did win that one. sorry idiot drunk last night and no idea why i thought i should go on the computer. trying to find what other stupid stuff i wrote.

sydney is home to many a plaited rats tail and even the exotic and rare side rats tail which comes off the side of the head instead of th back.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes View Post
    slaughterhouse 5 - kurt vonnegut

enjoying it so far, 'bout halfway. nice use of nonlinear narrative. will have to seek out more by this guy when i'm finished.

"so it goes"
    Vonnegut is excellent. I've read Cat's Cradle and Mother Night, both of which were top cow.

"Just started (well a couple of hundred pages in) to Infinite Jest which I'm enjoying a lot. So far very readable, very funny etc although possibly not quite the transcendental experience I was expecting from all the recommendations - though maybe that's the problem, anything that's built up too much can suffer I think. Anyway, it's relatively early days yet and the fact that I've laughed out loud a few times and felt compelled to read passages aloud to my girlfriend must be a good sign."
    Actually, gonna revise my opinion upwards on this. The further in I get the more it kind of coalesces - from the diverse footnotes and half-mentions of things that later turn out to be important - into something a lot more focussed than it originally seemed. It reminds me in that sense of The Sound And The Fury - I really like the way that a part in the middle of a three page footnote listing the hilariously named films of an "apres-garde" director can actually turn out to have a bearing on things much later on in the book. I also like the way that the footnotes disorient you by changing from dry objective notes to those preceded by "presumably" or other examples of guesswork from the author.
    Also you've got to love a book where years are named after brands (the honour being auctioned to the highest bidder), a woman who keeps her external heart transplant in her handbag is killed by a purse-snatcher and a feminist tennis player and lecturer writes essays such as The Toothless Predator: Breast-Feeding as Sexual Assault.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 31-07-2011 at 04:30 PM.

just spent today reading all of Hemingways 'Old man and the sea' and it was a lovely way to spend the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Actually, gonna revise my opinion upwards on this...
    so glad you're enjoying it. i'm almost at the end of my second go through. it's my favourite book ever, i think. just the way it's so hilarious and moving at the same time, and so smart without being pretentious. the length is too daunting for most of my friends i recommend it to, but it gets better and better as it goes along.

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    I've been trying to get my hands on The Atlas for years, but it's very elusive.
    it's on amazon.

i definitely want to read as much of his as possible, but each book is such a big commitment. might try The Royal Family next.