viktorvaughn's right about Ballard, I think: he's an ideas person, definitely not a draftsperson. Much as I like some of his stuff (B not V, not that V seems so bad), he does have an inflated reputation. I find his short stories unreadably boring, but his 70s novels are compelling and have enjoyable daft spells - we're being let loose in the psyche of an open-minded posh thug, really.

There's a sort of pulp/high culture crossover going on throughout British literary history, and I probably only say that cause I'm not in a position to know whether Polish or Spanish lit have a similar balance. Prose is a bastard form anyway, so the markers between proper and silly are arbitrary, even though the naffness or condescension can be real enough. I just know that many of my favourite British writers combine the pair: Leonora Carrington, Angela Carter, Anna Kavan, the men...

I'm going to write a series of articles about good books with a fantastical bent, starting with Arthur Machen. Read some of his free ones online - The Great God Pan, The Three Impostors, The Shining Pyramid, The Terror - and you'll see why.

luka

machens fantastic. better than lovecraft but not nearly as camp so not as famous. i do like the campness of lovecraft.
savage detectives is pretty risible but i did finish it so obviously not so bad. better by far than 26666 i think.
Leonora Carrington, Angela Carter, Anna Kavan, the men...
who are the men?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I loved The Great God Pan and The Hill Of Dreams. Machen's a consummate prose lyricist. TGGP is proper fin-de-siecle aestheticist-decadence horror while THOD has some of the most beautiful prose I've probably ever read. That said, the main character is a sensitive-suffering-aesthete-cast-adrift-in-a-world-of-uncouth-philistines to the point of being an insufferable emo...

Benny Bunter

ive read a couple of dh lawrence novels but sadly cant remember a thing about either of them. ive got a feeling there was at least one tactirun northerner in one of them. an thats it. i like his beard though.

Seem to remember (though not in any detail) DH Lawrences short stories being pretty good from school, and he did some some nice little poems about animals too. Never managed to get through a novel though.

Just finished Crash, thoguht it was excellent. I wonder if Elizabeth Taylor ever read it or was aware of it? If she did it must have freaked her the fuck out. No wonder she was left out of the film version.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"There's a sort of pulp/high culture crossover going on throughout British literary history, and I probably only say that cause I'm not in a position to know whether Polish or Spanish lit have a similar balance. Prose is a bastard form anyway, so the markers between proper and silly are arbitrary, even though the naffness or condescension can be real enough. I just know that many of my favourite British writers combine the pair: Leonora Carrington, Angela Carter, Anna Kavan, the men..."
Leonora Carrington features as a character in one of the Ballard short stories in War Fever if I remember correctly. Well, one of the characters has that name at least. I've never read her stuff but I like her paintings. What would you recommend?

D

droid

re: 2666

Google street view pics of Sonora, Mexico:

Nacozari-De-Garcia--Monte-020.jpg

Nacozari-De-Garcia--Monte-014.jpg

faustus

Anyone read Timothy Mo? I just finished The Redundancy of Courage, a retelling of the Indonesian invasion of East Timor. He's an interesting novelist, after three Booker shortlistings in the 80s and early 90s he got pissed off with all agents and publishers everywhere and started self-publishing, and as a result kind of disappeared.

I'd also like to read The Savage detectives soon

I loved The Great God Pan and The Hill Of Dreams. Machen's a consummate prose lyricist. TGGP is proper fin-de-siecle aestheticist-decadence horror while THOD has some of the most beautiful prose I've probably ever read. That said, the main character is a sensitive-suffering-aesthete-cast-adrift-in-a-world-of-uncouth-philistines to the point of being an insufferable emo...
Yeah, it's got about 40 pages of wonderful, lyrical writing and 100 that read like a filibuster. He suits shorter tales really; he's all about piercing images, sudden horrors and enchantments. The weird thing with Machen tales is, you know something special and unique happened, but when you try to tell people about it you have trouble identifying what it was. (Which makes rue the day I said I'd write a piece on him!)

I'd recommend The Three Impostors to anyone, it's just so moreish.

Leonora Carrington features as a character in one of the Ballard short stories in War Fever if I remember correctly. Well, one of the characters has that name at least. I've never read her stuff but I like her paintings. What would you recommend?

The Hearing Trumpet. Unreservedly. Funny as fuck and wildly imaginitive.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
after the railing pkd got on here I started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. prefer Blade Runner.

PKD's best book, for me. He's an artist who influence is immense and someone I admire, ideas-wise, but have always found his prose to be so second-rate. I'll probably try him again at some point.

I've just bought a little book called The Face On The Fork from Beat Scene Press containing texts relating to Burroughs by Iain Sinclair. Sad WSB junky that I am, I'm actually putting off reading it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Currently reading Childhood, Boyhood and Youth by Tolstoy. Certainly isn't up to his later work so far, but fascinating stuff, especially taking into consideration how unhappy Tolstoy's actual childhood was compared to the idyllic vision of childhood he creates (often quite brilliantly) in the book. There's a phrase in there, how looking into the past he feels as if he's looking through a mist of tears - that haze of nostalgia, softening everything despite the brilliantly observed details that animate it all. A bit like those scenes in ''The Tree of Life'' which evoke either childhood or your romantic nostalgic memory of it.

Next I want to read The Iliad, after reading an interesting review of a new translation of it in the London Review of Books. I was trying to work out which translation to go for for about two hours in Waterstones today. Knowing me I'll probably get about one/two thirds through and then give it up for a while and never go back to it. But the bits I read today were good...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
machens fantastic. better than lovecraft but not nearly as camp so not as famous. i do like the campness of lovecraft.

I've been reading a bit of Lovecraft recently and I do like it but I always find it amusing how often he insist on using words like ''horrible/hideous/terrible'' when describing accursed landscapes and so on. He really lays it on thick. It's particularly funny when you listen to an audiobook version of one of his stories, could make a devastatingly effective drinking game. The legacy, I suppose, of Poe - who I gather was a huge, almost tyrannical influence on him, especially in his earlier stories.

I suppose one of the things that makes Lovecraft's stories so fascinating is how revealing they are of his own psychological hang-ups (many of which we all share, to some extent). For instance ''The Shadow Over Innsmouth'', all that stuff about degenerate races going wild/evil as the legacy of civilised society rots all around them. I love the mythos aspect of it, too, the shadowy, abysmal ''Gods'', the pessimistic view of our insignificance on a universal scale. I just wish sometimes that it wasn't so hammy, but then I think thats part of its success, the cultivation of a really gothic and decrepit atmosphere.

Yeah, Lovecraft's incredibly bombastic. I enjoy that but you really have to get on board and read a tale in one sitting, I think, cause it's a bit exhausting to start up again once you've taken a breather.

Machen's gig is realism with an occasional peak behind the veil. Has quite an impact when it happens.