droid

I was willing to let it go in the hope that the characterisation would hold together after such a strong foundation and they'd just steer it into the goal, but the stupidity and spectacle is mounting every episode and that last episode was the final straw. It'll be a miracle if they dont fuck it entirely.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm starting to find that the notionally sympathetic characters are having such massive reversals of fortune so often, like nearly every episode, that I'm rapidly becoming calloused to it to the point where I'm in danger of not giving a shit any more.

luka

Literally have no idea what any of you are talking about.

The Maximus poems are a late work of modernism or an early postmodern work depending on your perspective. It's a self-described 'epic' in the mode of the cantos, which is to say, composition by accretion, or publishing your notebook jottings. It's heavily Jungian and like everything of that era, the Golden Bough is in the background.

It's hung on an exploration into the history and geography of a failing New England fishing town called Gloucester

trilliam

aint read a colder book then james ellroy - american tabloid in the past three years

every return read been great guys a master, need to read the LA series

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I need to read an Ellroy - I've read a couple of Elmore Leonard books ('Killshot' and 'Freaky Deaky') and absolutely loved both.

luka

Ellroy is the great American novelist. Throw De Lilo, Roth, Bellow, etc al in bin. Ellroy is the only one. I've read all of them. Cold six thousands is my favourite.

jenks

thread death
Have to agree that there are few that can touch Ellroy - the master of shame, disgust, self loathing, betrayal and double cross. I thought Perfidia took him in to even more interesting territory and the idea of a second LA quartet set in WWII - that could be quite something.

luka

What I really wanted was Ellroy doing Iran-Contra but I later found a quote specifically saying he has too much respect and admiration for Reagan to do that. Such a lurid period. Cocaine '80s. Would have been one the best books ever written

trilliam

What I really wanted was Ellroy doing Iran-Contra but I later found a quote specifically saying he has too much respect and admiration for Reagan to do that. Such a lurid period. Cocaine '80s. Would have been one the best books ever written

well if i didnt think he was a racist before :eek:

luka

He's definitely on the right to some degree yeah.a reactionary. Some of it may be liberal baiting for giggles.

The real, hardcore, conviction racists (kkk etc) in the books are protraYed as contemptible, grubby, mentally deficienct geeks by and large tho tbf but I dunno

I was careful reading them on public transport in case someone glanced over and thought I was reading neo nazi literature tbh

luka

He's never, as far as I know, come out and said something like "African culture is primitive and could never produce a Shakespeare" like out and proud racist Saul Bellow did

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Couldn't sleep last night and ended up actually finishing a Shakespeare play! It was A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I feel like a fool now cos I can't think of anything to say about it, but I did enjoy it a lot and actually found some of it legitimately funny. (E.G. Lysander, doped up on fairy juice, saying to former-beau Hermia 'Get you gone, you dwarf,. You minimus of hindering knotgrass made,. You bead, you acorn!')

This thoroughly obscure line, for some reason, stuck out for me as an example of Shakespeare's 'music':

'And jealous Oberon would have the child
Knight of his train, to trace the forests wild;'

It's probably easier for me to 'hear' the musicality of verse when it rhymes, as a lot of the verse in AMNDream does.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Two minor plot points that confuse me

1. Why does Helena tell Demetrius that Hermia/Lysander have eloped? The idea is presumably to make Demetrius follow them into the forest, by why would that help out Helena?

2. Why does Oberon plan to have Titania fall in love with a wild beast - why would her shame over this cause her to give up her Indian changeling?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
For the bantz?

This is definitely an element of it.

Looking around the web it seems like the explanation is that while she's distracted by being in love he can steal the changeling boy from her.

Basically I'm trying to figure out why Oberon isn't a cunt, because in the rest of the play he seems quite considerate (albeit in a way that undermines the free will of Demetrius in partiular).

Perhaps trying to ascribe morals to fairies is beside the point, though.