pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
slaughterhouse 5 - kurt vonnegut

enjoying it so far, 'bout halfway. nice use of nonlinear narrative. will have to seek out more by this guy when i'm finished.

"so it goes"

luka

hahah yeah he did win that one. sorry idiot drunk last night and no idea why i thought i should go on the computer. trying to find what other stupid stuff i wrote.

luka

sydney is home to many a plaited rats tail and even the exotic and rare side rats tail which comes off the side of the head instead of th back.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
slaughterhouse 5 - kurt vonnegut

enjoying it so far, 'bout halfway. nice use of nonlinear narrative. will have to seek out more by this guy when i'm finished.

"so it goes"

Vonnegut is excellent. I've read Cat's Cradle and Mother Night, both of which were top cow.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Just started (well a couple of hundred pages in) to Infinite Jest which I'm enjoying a lot. So far very readable, very funny etc although possibly not quite the transcendental experience I was expecting from all the recommendations - though maybe that's the problem, anything that's built up too much can suffer I think. Anyway, it's relatively early days yet and the fact that I've laughed out loud a few times and felt compelled to read passages aloud to my girlfriend must be a good sign."
Actually, gonna revise my opinion upwards on this. The further in I get the more it kind of coalesces - from the diverse footnotes and half-mentions of things that later turn out to be important - into something a lot more focussed than it originally seemed. It reminds me in that sense of The Sound And The Fury - I really like the way that a part in the middle of a three page footnote listing the hilariously named films of an "apres-garde" director can actually turn out to have a bearing on things much later on in the book. I also like the way that the footnotes disorient you by changing from dry objective notes to those preceded by "presumably" or other examples of guesswork from the author.
Also you've got to love a book where years are named after brands (the honour being auctioned to the highest bidder), a woman who keeps her external heart transplant in her handbag is killed by a purse-snatcher and a feminist tennis player and lecturer writes essays such as The Toothless Predator: Breast-Feeding as Sexual Assault.

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
Actually, gonna revise my opinion upwards on this...

so glad you're enjoying it. i'm almost at the end of my second go through. it's my favourite book ever, i think. just the way it's so hilarious and moving at the same time, and so smart without being pretentious. the length is too daunting for most of my friends i recommend it to, but it gets better and better as it goes along.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg ('72) - so far so good tale of a telepathic New Yorker who makes money ghosting term papers for students but his mind-reading powers are failing. Intelligent, witty and convincing portrayal of what it would be like to have this ability. Part of the SF Masterworks series, but it's set in '76 and reads like a non-genre novel, if you get me drift.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
I am reading my first e-book. On my Iphone. Borrowed from the local library. Imperial Bedrooms (finally getting 'round to it). Fast read, got through more than half of it in one go. Nice atmosphere of paranoia, desperation. Feels like a proper continuation of Less Than Zero, I got into not realizing that it was that or I'd have read it sooner. Reckon I will finish it today. Not at all daunted by the whole reading a book on a phone thing. It actually feels like you are proofing your friend's novel or something, more immediate than a printed thing, more akin to reading, say, Kerouac's typewritten scrolls (what I mean to say is that it feels like you are reading it in the same medium it was composed; I realize it probably wasn't written on an iPhone [can you imagine!] but yeah, on a screen, though, right?).

you

it probably was written on an iphone or similar device whilst watching the hills and waiting for trey to call and ignoring texts from katie....

Have you finished it? What did you think? I think it's one of his best, not satisfying, but ultimately more nihilistic for being so...ugh

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i thought it was all right.
great atmosphere.
i love that it doesn't all connect. like The Big Sleep. and the completely detached fisting/buggering was pitch perfect, nothing readers of American Psycho would bat an eyelash at, and really, it reads like a (de sade's) to-do list.
i haven't read much from BEE, just <0, 'Merican Psycho, and the one we are talking about.
i like the effortlessness, in short, and the shallowness, and the references to banal pop culture signposts (remake of the Hills Have Eyes FFS?!)

smokeyrobinson

Sinclair Lewis - Main Street. Enjoying it so far but only a few pages in. Pretty sure Moss Icon had read the first chapter of this at least haha

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Third Policeman, Flan O'Brien. Pretty good so far, a lot more surreal than I thought it would be. Haven't read enough to say much more, seems promising though.

sydney is home to many a plaited rats tail and even the exotic and rare side rats tail which comes off the side of the head instead of th back.

Ha, saw a guy with one of these on the tube the other day...was Spanish by the sound of it.

hucks

Your Message Here
The Third Policeman, Flan O'Brien. Pretty good so far, a lot more surreal than I thought it would be. Haven't read enough to say much more, seems promising though.

Ha, saw a guy with one of these on the tube the other day...was Spanish by the sound of it.

The Spanish love a rat's tail. Often quite cool, attractive Spanish girls will rock one. Does my head in.

The Third Policeman is great. The Best of Myles, a collection of O'Brien's columns from the Irish Times, is funniest book I've ever read. At Swim - Two Birds is nuts, though. Pretty much unreadable.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Spanish love a rat's tail. Often quite cool, attractive Spanish girls will rock one. Does my head in.

I know, right? So many Spanish girls have that "great face/body, shame about the hair" thing going on...so weird. I guess the fellas over there must like it, but then many have equally bizarre set-ups - a couple of lank, white-guy dreadlocks, a shaven patch on one side - jesus.

grizzleb

I'm sure someone else said this on here but the Spanish have to be, per capita, the worst dressed people on the planet. They love that mad crusty shit.

slowtrain

In NZ the rats tail (i have not yet encountered many exotic versions) are almost always sported by rich white private school boys who are into drinking and facebook. My natural enemy so maybe I should stay out of spain.