jenks

thread death
Lost Time: Lectures on Proust in a Soviet Prison Camp - Józef Czapski
The Beginning of Spring - Penelope Fitzgerald
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (modern version Michael Smith)
All for Nothing - Walter Kempowski
Journals - Andre Gide
The Sleep of the Righteous - Wolfgang Hilbig

luka

i got a copy of poems from prynne and reading it made me physically sick, nauseous. but i don't consider that a bad thing necessarily. i need to read more poetry tho, from different authors and then work my way to prynne. i need more bagage.

also have been reading vegetable empire again and some passages reverberate in my head real good, read the runes ronnie i keep hearing.

That's the Prynne magic. It repels at first like a physical barrier. It's an astonishing affect. It pushes you away

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
a while back i read the following books in that exact order. turned out to be a great experience, with each book reinforcing the other. mumbo jumbo being the highlight. absolutely loved it. i didn't know that wide sargasso sea was a (anti-colonial) response to another book so i guess i missed some of the story. maybe one needs to read that other book first in order to better appreciate wide sargasso sea.

the black jacobins by c. l. r. james
wide sargasso sea by jean rhys
mumbo jumbo by ishmael reed

luka

Luke Davis
to fen
1 day agoDetails
The sentence is a linear pathway through meaning. Finnegans wake still operates with the sentence. This is looking at other ways to create meaning although there's plenty of linearity too. Radial not linear was the approach.

Luke Davis
to fen
0 minutes agoDetails
Take

"Norweiga wool with ambien synth setting luxe desert"

There's the hint of Norwegian wood and hence boomer spending purses but mostly I think of a washing machine settings. Wool wash. Synthetic fabrics. Then there's ambient synths advertising music. The setting could be a synth preset (or washing machine) or could be the setting(luxe desert) for something else. Luxe desert could be a lipstick colour or any other commercial colour label. Also sexy sand dunes in perfume ads. The seraglio. Mysteries of the east. Big sexy eyes framed with fabric sales routine etc. Also a wider sense of cultural and geographic settings as being points on a dial, shading into one in infinitely fine gradations, which is one of the themes of the poem.

Hence
Explode the sentence

IdleRich

IdleRich
a while back i read the following books in that exact order. turned out to be a great experience, with each book reinforcing the other. mumbo jumbo being the highlight. absolutely loved it. i didn't know that wide sargasso sea was a (anti-colonial) response to another book so i guess i missed some of the story. maybe one needs to read that other book first in order to better appreciate wide sargasso sea.

the black jacobins by c. l. r. james
wide sargasso sea by jean rhys
mumbo jumbo by ishmael reed
It's Jane Eyre isn't it?
Read the second two but nothing by CLR James which now I think about it is a shame cos I used to walk past the CLR James library every day when I lived in London.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Listening to the audio book of John Taylor Gatto's - The Underground History of American Education

A book which tells the previously untold story of schooling as not an altruistic enterprise of enlightened men to benefit their fellow man, but an effort by rich industrialist and eugenicists to preserve their power and influence by "Dumbing Down" their fellow man to the point at which he would willing accept a life of gloomy servitude in their factories. Gatto spent 9 years writing this book, after discovering primary sources, such as minutes of the industrialists' meetings, often painted a very different picture from that which later propaganda would have people believe.

Considering its huge size, the book is very readable. It is broken into hundreds of small sections, which mix historical record, interpretation and Gatto's personal experience to paint a compelling picture quite different from the traditional romantic image painted by the powers that be. In spite of selling over 500,000 copies based only on word of mouth recommendation (no advertising), its theme is so confronting that it has been largely ignored by the controlled media. Nevertheless, its reception has been very warm online, and it has been called a "superhuman effort of scholarship"

Have to say I'm loving every moment. It's focus is on America but the principles apply to pretty much the whole world.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Attempting 'Ulysses', have reached my customary point of Stephen spying a silent ship as he walks along the beach.

Great reams I don't understand at all. I'm reading along with an audiobook to help push me through it, though of course there are plentiful bits which need or reward patient examination.

A description of a dog:
"a rag of wolf's tongue redpanting from his jaws"

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was the dog thing cutesy?

A point, live dog, grew into sight running across the sweep of sand... The cry brought him skulking back to his master and a blunt bootless kick sent him unscathed across a spit of sand, crouched in flight. He slunk back in a curve.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hauled stark over the gunwale he breathes upward the stench of his green grave, his leprous nosehole snoring to the sun

luka

You tell me. I know it's supposed to be baby talk but I often think of the opening of portrait with the moo cow in it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You tell me. I know it's supposed to be baby talk but I often think of the opening of portrait with the moo cow in it

I like "redpanting" because it seems to me to replicate an act of perception which actually misperceives - the tongue isn't panting, is it? But it is moving in a way that shows it is panting. Perhaps in isolation it looks too tricksy. It works better in the flow of Stephen's thoughts. (He sees a "wolf's tongue" perhaps because he is scared of dogs, and of this wild dog in particular.)

The Portrait example seems null and void to me since as you say it's supposed to be a child's thought. Joyce is self indulgent, though, no doubt about it, and I can see how that can rankle.

luka

I remember craner posted his favourite bit of Joyce and it was like
Her scrumptious big bouncy booby breasties bobbing up and down. Lovely jubbly big big boobies

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Lolol

He kissed the plump mellow yellow smellow melons of her rump, on each plump melonous hemisphere, in their mellow yellow furrow, with obscure prolonged provocative melonsmellonous osculation.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
More Ulysses this morning (I'll start a separate thread on it if I manage to read much more). Brilliant description of a cat, equal to the description of the dog. Very funny depiction of Bloom enjoying a shit in the outhouse. A brilliant modulation of thought as Bloom regards the sea, 'the grey sunken cunt of the world' and panics, attempting to ward off evil thoughts. The adroit melding of his fear of Molly's adultery and his daughter's burgeoning sexuality.

I wondered what an inner monologue would sound like now, in the age of smartphones, podcasts, Netflix, etc. Is there any room left for thought? I think I have too much input, there is no vacuum left for the imagination to fill.