luka

I can't remember it's about 280 pages in. I'm not sure it's the bit itself though. I don't think it is.

luka

You out this huge amount of fresh optimistic energy in, make headway, feel you're getting it, but then you realise you've got about 600 pages to go. Same old shit for another few weeks. What have you signed up for here?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Same thing happened to me last year with the Wake. Still intend to finish it when I've finished the couple of things I'm reading right now.

luka

Not easy these things although are very high powered readers out there who don't seem to have any problems at all with these bricks. Timothy Leary claimed to have read GR in a day I think, although, granted, he was imprisoned at the time.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's partly the size isn't it, and partly the lack of forward momentum.

Most of my reading is done on the commute in and out of work so 'Ulysses' is obviously a bit challenging, especially first thing in the morning.

I find it very hard to read in the evening cos I'm knackered and/or stoned, I'd rather be watching summat or playing a video game.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Just finished Tracey Thorn's Bedsit Disco Queen. Entertaining stuff. And inadvertently interesting (to me) that the music she particularly liked way back when was the music I particularly loathed...

Vic Godard's lounge version of Subway Sect.
Scritti Politti, after Green had kicked out the rest of the band.
Paul Weller, post The Jam
The fucking Smiths.

I still hate every one of those.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
for the fucking love of god corpse, you drive me mad. i promise you that you can have loads of monster sex with any girl you like. just be (or at least pretend to be initially) a bit more arrogant. don't throw your contentedness away because you're scared of embarrassing yourself. once you've got affirmation from women, the rest of your neuroses will disappear. salvation awaits

I'm reading this

DLaurent

James Elroy American Tabloid is so dense. About as dense as I rarely feel like reading. Probably take me a whole year as 50 pages has taken me two weeks. Great stuff when you're in the mood though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just started a book called Radiant Terminus by a guy called Volodine. Except that's not his real name, he writes under various names, normally those of characters in his books (apparently - this is the first I've read). According to the intro his books kinda overlap and contradict in confusing ways to create a feeling in which you never quite know what is real and whether people are alive or dead or dreaming or whatever (like the M John Harrison books about Virconium I suppose). This one seems to be set in an irradiated zone in the wilds of Russia after the collapse of the Second Soviet Republic and so inevitably recalls Tarkovsky and Lopushensky's films Letters From a Dead Man and A Visitor to a Museum. Cos it's about an isolated society and has a kind of magic-real sci-fi feel (one of the characters has been made immortal by radiation poisoning) it also reminds of Dhalgren. Anyway, so far it's really cool but I keep getting interrupted from reading it by amazing football matches... back to reality now though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm reading 'The Stranger Beside Me' by Ann Rule. She was a crime writer who worked in a crisis centre with a young Ted Bundy. She was offered a contract to write about a series of disappearances/murders in the Seattle area, little knowing that she had worked with and was friends with the perpetrator.

I dunno what it is that draws me to this stuff. It strikes me that a lot of people who are into horror films, e.g., are often nerdy types whose lives have been governed by fear. Perhaps it is fear that attracts me to reading about serial killers - the fear of being a victim and the lack of fear that sociopaths like Bundy display.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Iliad. Only just started but it looks promising. I'm picturing the characters (Zeus and all) looking a bit like the GoT cast.

I'm still reading Mallory's Morte D'Arthur in fits and starts and what's weird is that in some ways, the Iliad is more modern-seeming, with realistic depictions of human politics (and divine politics, which are basically the same but on a bigger scale and with super-powers) and with a setting based at least loosely on real historical events, in contrast to the fantastical and totally anachronistic setting of Mallory's story. I guess part of this could be that - ignoramus as I am - I'm reading the Iliad in translation, while the Morte is in the original late Middle English with only the spelling updated.

luka

Piers the Plowman. JH Prynne says it's among the greatest poems in any language.

"In a somer seson, whan soft was the sonne,/ I shope me in shroudes, as I a shepe were,/In habite as an heremite, vnholy of workes/ went wide in this world, wondres to here"